ActiveSync

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

ActiveSync

Postby jmahun » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:08 pm

I'm having a devil of a time getting the Tracker and Desktop computer to consistently communicate thru ActiveSync. It's always a hit or miss process.

I installed (and re-installed) ActiveSync (3.8) and the ActiveSync & Feature Editor Support programs following the "Connecting your Tracker to your Computer.pdf" instructions. The first-time connection usually fails at step C.3 (pages 6 & 7). I'm told there are no devices attached.

I try a manual connection inside ActiveSync and the same thing often happens. I start Get Connected.. in ActiveSync, then start PC-Link on the Tracker. ActiveSynce seacrches (for up to about half a minute) then reports no devices are found. Sometimes after I click "OK" when it tells me no devices are found, a connection is then made.

If I do get the Tracker recognized and a partnership establshed, I'm not always able to later get the Tracker & Compter re-connected as explained in step E. With ActiveSync running, I hook up and turn on the Tracker, and run PC-Link. Most of the time a connection won't be made (sometmes PC-Link won't even run). I have the best luck trying to set up a connection manually.

This is extremely frustrating, especially since we've 13 data collectors. I've tried different computers and Windows versions (2000 & XP) but am not able to have reliable sync-ing. Is there another way to transfer data betwenn the Tracker and a desktop computer that doesn't require ActiveSync?

J Mahun
jmahun

Follow up

Postby jmahun » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:40 pm

The on line pdf doc for ActiveSync setup says to stop the installation of the software when it comes to the Get Connected screen. At that point the Active Sync and Feature Editor Support is to be installed (step B).

App B of the FG2005 manual seems to indicate that you should install the ActiveSync software and continue thru the Get Connected part (pg 281). The support software appears to be installed afterwards (pg 286).

Does it make a difference when the support software is installed?

J. Mahun
jmahun

Postby Jason Poitras » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:49 pm

Hi Jerry,

Are you using the sync cables that were supplied with the Trackers?
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby jmahun » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:15 pm

Yes, I've trid using those cables. I also tried other serial cables but ran into same issues.
jmahun

Tracker connection with AS

Postby Glen Cameron » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:48 pm

A few things to try that I have seen work with other customers.
When connecting the Tracker to the computer, do not double click on PCLink right a way. Wait about 5 seconds after the power is on and the cable connected. If PCLink does not run at all - do a soft reset of the Tracker.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby CHRIS L » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:02 am

try this.....do a warm reboot....go to the start menu----programs---tools----warm boot.....it restarts your system.....them turn off the tracker-----plug in the cable fro your computer to the tracker.....turn on the tracker....you should see your active sync icon on the bottom right side of your computer screen turn green....Then double click on the PC link on the tracker screen...

I have found sometime it gets funky and wont do anything if you tru to sync with ANY programs running on the tracker...my IPAQ did the same thing from time to time also...so I always make sure I exit out of everything.
CHRIS L

Postby Brian Sloman » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:28 pm

After pressing Get Connected in ActiveSync and pressing Next to make it start looking for the Tracker, double-tap on the PC-Link icon. You should see a little window on the tracker that says "Connecting to Host". You should see this window stay up on the tracker for a little while until it connects. If this window just flashes away very quickly, then double-tap the PC-Link icon again. You may need to repeat it until it does stay on screen. The reason it does this is that ActiveSync will be checking through each com port on your computer one-by-one, and if it isn't looking at the right port when PC-Link is started, it gives up right away.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Return to FieldGenius