FG 2005 with a Lietz SET4A

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

jmahun

FG 2005 with a Lietz SET4A

Post by jmahun » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:35 pm

We're using our Trackers/FieldGenius 2005 collectors with Sokkia/Lietz SET4A instruments. The Instrument setup we're using on the FG05 is
Make: Sokkia
Model: SET Basic.
We're able to connect to the instrument.

We're doing topo work, setting up on one control point and backsighting a second one. We orient correctly. The SET4A is set to Basic Mode so it can measure distances. So far, generally, so good.

But we've been randomly experiencing problems as we do the side shots.
(1) The most common is "Angle measurement error." Pressing the shot button starts the measurement, but then it kicks out with the error statement.

(2) Another common error is not measuring a distance. Pressing the shot button starts the measurement, but no distance is measured. I can manually measure the distance with the SET4, but it won't work through the Tracker.

Generally, the angles are read correctly if we put the SET4 in the Theodolite mode - no Angle measurement errors. But it doesn't measure distances in Theodolite mode. Problems reappear as soon as we go back into Basic Mode.

We've tried a couple of things:
- Exit & then re-enter the project.
- Swapped cables,
- Shut down & restarted the SET4
Most of the time we're able to restart the data collection, but then we start encountering problems.

We're also periodically dropping communication between the SET4A and Tracker. I've swapped cables, jiggled connections, etc, but it doesn't appear to be systematic.

We started out with 5 field crews today - only one didn't experience any problems. One crew got to the point where they couldn't get past the "Angle measurement error" no matter what we did. Of course, later on I was unable to duplicate the problem with their equipment and it all worked fine.

Does anyone else out there use the FG05 with a Sokkia/Lietz SET4A (or similar) instrument? If so, have you experienced (and solved) problems like this?

J. Mahun
Madison Area Technical College

Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Post by Darcy Detlor » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:17 pm

I would recommend that you turn on the Trace Log function and send us the file generated. We can tell from the log what is happening between the gun and the data collector. It sounds like you should be able to generate a few different log files from the students so we can determine the problem.
Darcy Detlor,
President,
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
darcy.detlor@microsurvey.com

CHRIS L

Post by CHRIS L » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:39 am

we used a Set3c which sounds little more basic gun that the Set 4A..The only times we ever had problems was about 5-6 months into the life of instrument cables....THEY DO GO BAD in about 5-8 months of constant use... We would go to shoot and nothing would happen. Repalcement of cables always solved that.

just my 0.02 cents

jmahun

Post by jmahun » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:37 pm

Which file is created with the Trace Log on? Is it created in the project folder on the Tracker & what is its extension?
J Mahun
Darcy Detlor wrote:I would recommend that you turn on the Trace Log function and send us the file generated. We can tell from the log what is happening between the gun and the data collector. It sounds like you should be able to generate a few different log files from the students so we can determine the problem.

Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Post by Darcy Detlor » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:44 pm

From the help in the data collector - don't forget that you can press the ? button at the top right corner for some excellent on-board help:

Trace Log File

When turned on it will create a test file displaying information about the shot data going back and forth from FieldGenius and your instrument. It can be used to diagnose communication problems and should only be used in this situation. The text file will be named tracets.txt or tracegps.txt and will be located in your MicroSurvey FieldGenius/Programs directory on your device.
Darcy Detlor,
President,
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
darcy.detlor@microsurvey.com