future improvements?

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

nvolny

future improvements?

Post by nvolny » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:58 pm

Have been using Fieldgenius for 2+ years now for GPS and total station and overall am very pleased. There are a few things that are critical and needed.

1) Cellular modem support for TOPCON GPS
2) Ability to make a local projection. Not a transformation but a actual projection. Posted this earlier and the support staff was very helpful in supplying a local projection for Deschutes County which is what I need. However for some reason it did not work and the coordinates are completely whacko. -4899079, 32343284.
3) Notes to be saved in raw files. This is a real bummer when reloading jobs from raw files that have been wiped from data collector.

Again I'd like to reiterate that FieldGenius has been a great data collection program. However the cell modem issue is huge to the cost efficiency of GPS and precision. Having 1 main base broadcasting constantly will save me set up time and the range increase will save me from having multiple bases. Is the cell modem support something we can look forward to in the near future?

Thanks,

Norb

Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Post by Jason Poitras » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:04 pm

Hi Norb,

1) We plan on adding more cell support into our GPS drivers. No firm date on when we would include this for the Topcon receivers. We do know how important this is and we will be making this a priority.

2) This had been added to our wish list. I'll talk to our GPS development guru about the custom projection he made for you; we should be able to provide you with one that works.

3) Could you be more specific about what it is you want to be saved to the raw file?
Jason Poitras
General Manager
jason.poitras@microsurvey.com

nvolny

Post by nvolny » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:51 am

The notes I was refering to are the ones in the "notes" entry slot when recording a shot. The data collector stores them and they appear in mscad 2005 when i dump directly from dc to computer. However they are not in the raw file if i need to recoordinate a traverse from a raw file the desciptors are there but no notes.

Thanks for your prompt reply!

Norb