NK.Bin not found on system socket

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

NK.Bin not found on system socket

Postby lk2064 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:23 am

I'm having a problem with my Tracker, i tried to run FG a couple times and i got an error saying that FG is not a Windows CE application so i tried rebooting and it doesn't seem to want to reboot, when i try rebooting it says (no nk.bin found on system socket) is there a way i can get the nk.bin back in my system so it will start up again.
lk2064

Postby Darcy Detlor » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:17 am

If the nk.bin file is missing, then there is no operating system to restore.

Unfortunately this poorly labeled file ( Microsoft should have called it 'operating system - do not erase.bin' ) can be accidentally erased.

We may be able to reload the operating system here in our office, although we have not attempted to do this with a blank Tracker. There may be other options depending upon the serial number of your unit. Please contact our technical support dept and talk to Brian Sloman.

Don't ask me how I know about erasing the nk.bin file. :oops:

Five years ago we were new with Windows CE too.
Darcy Detlor,
President,
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
[email protected]
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Postby lk2064 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:54 pm

i got the problem resolved, i found a post on the Alegro data collectors running windows CE,with the same problem and it said to hold on/off and shift button at the same time and that would do a system restore and sure enough it worked, so that kills the theory of not being able to restore the system if the nk.bin file is missing. Anyway i thought i better post this in case anybody has this problem in the future. Just hold on/off and shift for a couple seconds
lk2064

Postby Darcy Detlor » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:14 pm

Holding down the power button on the Tracker for more than 5 seconds forces it to do a hard reset, which causes it to reload the operating system.

I was under the impression that you had already done this.

I'm glad to hear that you got it going. I guess I found a more "permanent" way of removing the nk.bin file... :?
Darcy Detlor,
President,
[email protected]
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Postby lk2064 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:14 pm

Well it happened again today, i tried to start FG and an error came up saying ' FG is not a windows ce application" and would not load. So i tried a warm-boot, and then the same thing happened as last time, it started saying "no.nk bin found on system socket", so i treid a hard boot, still no go. Then i tried doing the same thing as last time, by holding shift and on/off at the same timeto do a system restore, but this time that didn't work, so after trying several more hard boots, i went to the site for the Allegro, and once again they had a solution, this time it said to try pulling the battery out and leaving it for a half hour or an hour, so i did it for a half hour, but that did nothing, then i tried leaving it out for an hour, and when i put the battery in this time, everything started to load again, so i thought it was fixed, then i went and opened up FG and it started fine,but then i tried to open a project and an error came up saying" fg2005net42" "out of memory". and thats as far as i can get, it freezes and i have to do a hard boot again and that was getting it started, but the last time i tried the good old "no NK. bin found on system socket came up again" and thats as far as i've got, it won't load anymore, so i have the battery out again for an hour and i'll try it again. This is really starting starting to become an inconvience.
lk2064

Postby lk2064 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:37 pm

Well i got it to boot up again, only everything is screwed up,most of my projects are gone,which sucks because now i lost information and i am going to have to redo 2 jobs, FG no longer exists on the system for some strange reason and weird files are showing up with symbols instead of file names. is there a way i can replace the internal compact flash card and try another one? or re format the one thats in there now without losing windows ce and everything else.?
lk2064

Postby Darcy Detlor » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:43 pm

This computer is not behaving in any way that I have heard of before.

Immediately hook up and copy all the files off the SystemCF\MicroSurvey FieldGenius\FG Projects directory onto your desktop computer.

There is nothing you should be able to do to the unit that will corrupt the information on the Storage Card.

The internal CF card is soldered onto the main board. I think you should call our office and ask for an RMA number so we can get this unit looked at by Two Tech.
Darcy Detlor,
President,
[email protected]
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Return to FieldGenius