RTK Staking Point Description

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

surveyjoe

RTK Staking Point Description

Post by surveyjoe » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:39 pm

When I am staking in RTK GPS mode, how do I get FieldGenius to tell me the description of the point being staked?

If I turn on descriptions and turn off point ID's, FG2006 automatically turns the descriptions off and the point ID's on while in RTK stake mode.

The info box only tells me what the Vrms, Hrms, Lat, Long, Elev, etc..... but nowhere to be found is the point description.

Thanks

Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Post by Jason Poitras » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:47 am

Hi Survey Joe,

Currently the design description isn't displayed during RTK stakeout, but is if you are using a total station.

I will add this to the feature request list.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
jason.poitras@microsurvey.com

surveyjoe

Post by surveyjoe » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:23 am

Hi Jason,

I appreciate you adding this to a future version request list.

I'm not sure if I would classify this as a request. I would think this is a major feature that should be addressed very soon because it is a very important part of point staking. We need this issue addressed now instead of a future release that might be weeks or months down the road.

When I am point staking I need to know the point description plainly visible to tell my rodman what to write on the stake. If I have to tap on the info bar and then scroll around to find the description and elevation, all that is doing is slowing down the point staking process.

I would like to see the following information displayed on the main screen (not info bar) in real-time while RTK staking and total station staking.

Example:

Stk: Design Pnt 12
Desc: Top/San MH
Elev: 345.25usft

Having the Rotate Inst, VA, SD, HD, N, E, displayed in the info bar is a great thing, but don't make me have to go looking for the critical information that I need such as Point ID, Desc and Elevation of the point being staked.

Please fix this very soon........

Thanks

Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Post by Jason Poitras » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:36 am

In FieldGenius 2006 2.0.4 we will have an update for the staking function. We will provide a button on the staking toolbar called "Information". When this button is pressed we will display information about the point being staked. This information will be displayed in a window similar the COGO History function. Nothing will change with the information toolbar at the top of the screen and will function like it does currently.

We will also be eliminating some of the HUD text from the screen and moving it to the new function.

In 2.0.4, the staking information button will ....

If you are staking with a total station you will see:

Design Point ID: 12
Design Point Desc: Pin
Design Point Elev: 100.00'

Rotate Instrument:
HA 32°34'56"
VA 95°12'12"
SD 28.51'
HD 28.39'

If you are staking with RTK you will see:

If you are staking a road you will see:

Design: 468+84.85 C 0.00
Actual: 482+27.74 L 37.535
Move: Back Sta 1342.890m
In CL 37.535m

Rotate Instrument:
HA 32°34'56"
VA 95°12'12"
SD 28.51'
HD 28.39'

For those of you reading this, please post any comments about other information you would like to see during your stakeout.
Jason Poitras
General Manager

surveyjoe

Post by surveyjoe » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:37 pm

Hi Jason,

I think you have a very good idea for the "information button" in the stake toolbar.

That will probably solve the issues I spoke of above...... provided that you display the information in a TOP/DOWN format and not let it scroll off the side of the screen as the info window currently does.

We need to be able to tap on the "Info Button" and be able to read the data without having to scroll right or left. It is the constant scrolling that would be a major problem.

There are times when I have been asked to stake a particular elevation on the ground to determine the limits of a pond flooding and high water elevation. Currently while total station surveying, I have to tap on the info bar and scroll to the right to see the current shot elevation (Ranger version). On the Ipaq version I still have to scroll up/down to see the shot elevation. I think to solve this inconveinience, you should add the current shot elevation under the Design Point Elev to display as:

Total Station.........

Design Point Elev: 100.00
SHOT ELEV: 101.25

Rotate Instrument:
HA 32-34'56"
VA 95-12'12"
HD 28.39'

RTK...........

SHOT ELEV: 101.25

Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Post by Jason Poitras » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:45 pm

Hello,

Yes it will be in a top down layout with no scrolling to the left or right.
Jason Poitras
General Manager

Post by guest » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:18 am

Hi Jason. I am currently using your preleased next version of FG and see where you did remove some of the screen data you call HUD. I know some have asked for more uncluttered screen space, but I for one miss the real time updated Station and Offset that used to be displayed on the screen while staking a road. This was a very powerfull and useful feature for obtaining the correct desired station quickly and efficiently(much more quickly than using the larger screen and graphical stakeout could ever be.) I see that you can obtain this info from the info button but it is then not in real time(not nearly as handy as before.) Please reconsider this change. I'm sure I can't be the only one that feels this is a step backwards in the development of your software. Maybe as an alternative you could give us a toggle to turn this info on or off according to our needs. Thank you very much.

Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Post by Jason Poitras » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:56 am

Hello,

Just so you know we were trying it out to see how it would feel and we too missed having the HUD text. So the release version of 2.0.4 will work like it always has which is to show realtime updates as HUD text on the screen. We also decided to continue displaying it in the new staking information screen.

Thank you for the feedback.

2.0.4 should be available for download by the end of the day.
Jason Poitras
General Manager

Post by guest » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:12 pm

Thank you very much. Good work.