FG 2006 v2.0.2 iPaq locking and lost cf card

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

pasurvey

FG 2006 v2.0.2 iPaq locking and lost cf card

Post by pasurvey » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:44 am

Since loading FG06 v2.0.2 I've had a few instances of the iPAQ 2215 locking. When I start loading FG it halts on the start screen, and then when I stop FG and attempt to restart FG it locks the iPAQ. After hard reset it functions fine. Another related-unrelated new problem was the iPAQ lossing sight of the CF card. Again a hard reset resolved the problem. Not sure if the later problem was related to the use of the SD card for other purposes. SD card was removed prior to instance of this later problem and was not insert when the first problem appeared. Any thoughts? I'll stop the use of the SD card for now and will continue to monitor and try to document more details.

Thanks for your efforts!
Larry Parks
LP

CHRIS L

Post by CHRIS L » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:17 am

if your not using a SD or CF card....make sure you back up your work on a PC...If the Ipaq loses power...you might lose your data...Atleast my Ipaq does.

I have never used a SD card....but my CF card had the same probelm after about 6 months of field use...I found it to be not quit fitting as snug as it originally did and losing the connection....I ended up sliding in a small square of posterboard to make it a tight fit

surveytech1

Post by surveytech1 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:32 pm

We are having a simular problem on our Tracker. It is locking-up upon opening a project. After reviewing some files, we have the Raw Data files, and project DBF to contain corrupted data. We are at the point were we are unsure if its the program or the Tracker. I be interested to hear if anyone else is having these types of problems.
Thanks,
Jesse N. Goins, Jr., LSIT
Project Manager
Lumsden Associates, PC

CHRIS L

Post by CHRIS L » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:46 pm

we haven't had any probelms with it locking up when trying to open jobs up...Might be a bad CF card issue....as cheap as they are, try picking up a new card and seeing if that is the problem....

Chris

pasurvey

Post by pasurvey » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:29 am

I doubt the CF card is defective and believe the two issues are not related, I think the lost CF card is related to the use of the SD card, the problem has not reappeared since I’ve stop using the SD card, but will continue to monitor. Also this was an upgrade from FG 05 v1.2, which functioned fine on the same CF card. Locking only appeared after upgrade. The other day it locked, always on the startup screen, an attempt to stop the program from the memory settings failed and had to hard reset to get it back. When I installed FG 06 I made my best effort to remove all traces of 05 before install. Not sure if I should try uninstall and reinstall again.
LP

pasurvey

Post by pasurvey » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:30 am

This morning again it locked. The 1st loading screen appears fine, then the project manager starts w/empty screen....lock. I can close it by upper right hand X and go to settings, but when I try to access memory it is unresponsive. Hard reset! Anyone else having same problem?
LP

Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Post by Jason Poitras » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:28 am

Hello,

Does your system switch to sleep mode while you are using FieldGenius? We've found that when the iPAQ or similar consumer devices go into sleep mode, when you switch the power back, FieldGenius will not always be in a "happy" state. In the FieldGenius program settings you can turn on the "Prevent Battery Save Mode". This will prevent your system from activating the sleep mode while FieldGenius is running.

Normally we don't have two cards in our iPAQs here at our office so I can not comment on this - as far as I know there should be no problems. I've seen from time to time situations where my iPAQ could not find the compact cards I had inserted - and this was on a system that didn't have FieldGenius installed.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
jason.poitras@microsurvey.com

Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Post by Jason Poitras » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:30 am

Hello,

One more thing - Jesse could you send me your project that you are having problems with. I would like to test it here at our office to see what is wrong with it.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
jason.poitras@microsurvey.com

pasurvey

Post by pasurvey » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:48 am

Again, 1st attempt this morn to run FG it locked! Yes power save is off, I remember those days. CF card problem has not appeared since I've stopped the use of the SD card. Not sure if the last post was for here, I'm Larry, and FG locks before getting to any project. Initial FG screen is fine, 2nd project manager screen locks without displaying any projects. Hard reset always brings it back. Same scenario…every time. This is happening less than 10% of FG startups, but is a nuisance when the reset is inside the environmental case. Also I remember a time when too many hard resets caused problems w/MS ActiveSync.

Any Suggestions?
Larry
LP

pasurvey

Post by pasurvey » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:39 pm

It's worse! When I disconnect TS and power down the iPaq in the field and then power it back on it locks. Must have done 6 hard resets in the field today. No fun.
LP

surveytech1

Post by surveytech1 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:51 am

Jason,

In my attempts to fix some of the files and reload them, I may not have an original project to send. If I find it, I'll send it. Thanks for your response.

Jesse
Thanks,
Jesse N. Goins, Jr., LSIT
Project Manager
Lumsden Associates, PC

pasurvey

Post by pasurvey » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:46 am

Initial locking problem seems to be fixed by renaming the .exe file to .ex_ as instructed by Brian. Unfortunately I’m now getting a codebase error. Closing the error and continuing causes the point ID# not to advance to the next. This error has been narrowed down to when disconnect TS and the iPaq is powered down, to conserve battery, and then powered back on and connect TS (same procedure that I used with FG05 without a hitch) I get the error message. This error appears under sideshot when you attempt to store the point (to CF card), under sideshot autostore immediately. No error message is received under horizontal offset, just warning point is in use, selecting no, results in no point # advance. If the problem is believed to be hardware related, to prove or disprove, should I reload FG05 and see if it functions without this error?
LP

cadrum

Post by cadrum » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:36 am

pasurvey,

I'm just curious as to how you are shutting down the iPaq between setups or extended time away to conserve the battery. Are you simply hitting the power button, tapping the upper right hand "X" or fully exiting out of FieldGenius?

I'm still running FG 2005 ver 1.2 on a CF card on the same model iPaq. I found that I did have to turn on the "Prevent Battery Save Mode" or I would lose comm. with the TS when the iPaq powered down so now I fully exit out of FG between setups which is a bit of an inconvenience.

I haven't experienced any of the lockups that you have in FG 2006 so I'm afraid I can't be of much help, but I was curious as to how you were shutting down to conserve the battery.

pasurvey

Post by pasurvey » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:16 pm

I use the same method of power down as I did w/FG05. Power save was always off, disconnect TS from menu, turn iPaq off. Turn iPaq on, same FG screen appears, click connect TS, exit out and start work again. This method was used, be it pickup and move or break for coffee or diplomatic discussion w/irate property ad joiner. No problem w/FG05 big problem w/FG06. Your method would be a work around, just that I'm spoiled from the way FG05 worked. Brian from MicroSurvey is aware of this problem now. I've loaded FG05 back on to confirm that it's not hardware, and it functions fine. As suggested by Brian, I'll use the FG06 emulator to adjust traverse data until the problem is resolved.

Thanks Brian for your efforts!
LP