Anyone using Topcon GTS-300 series total station???

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Anyone using Topcon GTS-300 series total station???

Postby mlbrack » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:17 pm

I'm running Field Genius with a GTS-303. I'm having communications problems using both the "non-robotic" and "non-robotic(delay)" settings.

Non-robotic (delay) setup works fine, but cannot send backsite azimuth back to total station. Communication is unidirectional.

In non-robotic mode, communication is bi-directional, and I can send an azimuth from the data collector to the gun. However, in this mode, you have to manually press "enter" on the total station prior to each distance measurement or it will time-out.

Anyone sucessful using 300 series guns with Field Genius?
mlbrack

Postby Jason Poitras » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:19 am

Hi Mike,

We have modified the Topcon Non Robotic (delay) driver for the next service pack release of FieldGenius (version 1.3). Once we have a beta version of 1.3 ready, would you be willing to test it for us?
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby mlbrack » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:19 am

Fantasic news!

1.3 Beta will be tested on the first day it's posted for download.
mlbrack

Postby mlbrack » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:32 am

FG2006 still doesn't communicate properly with my Topcon.
mlbrack

try this

Postby cadrum » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:03 am

Not the same model, but I have a GPT 2005 and had comm. trouble when I tried to set all the parameters in FG 2005 to match the instrument. What did work for me was to simply hit the "Default Communication Settings" button in the "Model and Communication" screen. Try that.
cadrum

Postby Jason Poitras » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:35 pm

Hello,

At this point we don't really know why it isn't working correctly with your instrument. Are you going on holidays anytime soon? If you could send us your instrument we would be more than happy to test it out to see what is wrong.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby pasurvey » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:08 am

I use a Topcon GTS-303 w/topcon non-robotic default settings and have no problems. I've used FG05 and now FG06 on iPaq 2215 w/o any major communication problems w/topcon GTS-303. Maybe cable, or connection at dc or instrument.
LP
pasurvey

GTS-300 Problems

Postby ncfieldtech » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:00 am

We use a GTS-301D w/ FG2005 and had alot of trouble getting it working consistantly. It times out if I use non-robotic mode the instrument does measure but doesn't send to FG. If I use non-robotic(delay) mode it works for a long amount of time but sometimes it will quit working and and the TS gives a E-82 error which is quoting the manual "displayed when wrong procedure is used for sending data from external equipment"

I don't know what is causing these errors our cable is brand new, FG seems to work most of the time I am leaning toward the total station, however on it's own it works without error. But it becomes more and more of a moot point as we are budgeting for a new TS. Any ideas of how to test any of this would be great however as I have to make it last a bit longer.
ncfieldtech

Postby Brian Sloman » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:29 am

Hi ncfieldtech, something that worked for some users prior to us creating the Delay driver, was turning on the trace file in the program settings. This may be worth a try, it seems to change the timing a little bit when communicating with the gun.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby mlbrack » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:05 am

I've experieced the E-82 error. I've consistenty found that this happens when a measurement is taken right before the data collector times out. It seems like there is a window of a fraction of second where FG times out on the measurement but the gun sends the measurement to FG.
mlbrack

Postby Ned Ferguson » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:41 pm

Hello,
I am using FG on an AllegroCE with a Topcon GTS-300 (Really a 310 - 1 sec. gun.)

It has worked fine for us with the following settings:

non-robotic
Baud rate: 1200
Parity: even
Data bits: 7
Stop bits: 1
Ned Ferguson

Postby mlbrack » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:55 pm

FG-05?

You have bi-directional communication? You can send an azimuth from the data collector to the gun?

What settings are you using for the "selecting modes" on the total station? These are the 1-0 software "dip switches" on the total station that control its operation.

My data collector settings are identical to yours. Still faulty operation.
mlbrack

Postby Ned Ferguson » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:31 am

mlbrack:

We are using FG-06. I do not have any use for sending an azimuth (other than 0) to the gun, however we do zero the gun using FG, and we constantly switch from fine to course modes so we do have 2-way communication.

I don't mess with the dip switches. I assume they are factory default. Have you double checked your data cable?
Ned Ferguson

Return to FieldGenius