More Wish List

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

More Wish List

Postby cadrum » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:31 pm

More Wish List

There are a few things that have really been bugging me about the way FieldGenius works. They have remained through different versions and updates so I’ll call them my “wish list” items. I’d like to hear some feedback from other users and MicroSurvey to know if I’m the only one these things bother or if that’s the way things are supposed to be with this otherwise great software.

*Coordinate display precision setting – It would be very helpful to be able to set the number of places past the decimal to be displayed.
In the coordinate database I see 3 places past the decimal which makes me think I’m working in metric (I’m not). If I go to view or edit a coordinate I see 2 places past the decimal. What I usually want to see is 4 places (or more for state plane coordinates) past the decimal so being able to set that display level would be of great help for more accurate entry and reporting in the field.

*Bearing display precision setting – Along the same lines as above, I would like to be able to choose whether or not I want to see those decimal seconds.

*Information bar and screen revisions – I have always disliked the way FG shows info in these areas (in portrait mode on iPaq). Take an inverse for example. Why break up the bearing after the first direction, such as N or S and drop to the next line to show the rest? Couldn’t you just drop to the next line after the point numbers and list that info together on one line like this?

PNT 2 to 3
HD 124.88’ @ N 89^36’52” E (notice I dropped the decimal seconds and those parenthesis that serve no purpose)

If you tap that info and go to the full screen info page you have more bad use of space (in landscape and portrait modes). Can you break up the info shown onto different lines like this?

PNT 2 to 3
HD 124.88’
BRNG N 89^36’52” E
SD 125.00’
AR 90^00’00”
VD -5.45’
GR -4.3661%

This would help to eliminate scrolling left and right, make use of all that blank space and make these screens much more user friendly. Maybe even a bolder or different font where practical to help in viewing this most important of information in the field. This is, after all, what we are there to collect as we conduct our surveys. I understand FieldGenius is quite heavily drawing based and I like the uniqueness of that, but it almost seems as if the viewing of the bearings and numbers in the info screens are treated as secondary. This is just so different from what I am used to seeing in other data collector software I’ve used. I think if there were some way to just make that info bigger and bolder it would help a lot.

*Multi-Set routine – I guess I would like to see this routine hold your current instrument and backsight point until changed in the Occupy Point routine. What got my attention was a bad point using this routine after storing a previous point as a traverse point. Before I picked up and moved ahead I saw another monument I wanted to double my angles to. After using Multi-Set routine I saw the point come up on the screen in the wrong place. I went to the Occupy Point routine and re-set my current instrument and backsight point. Did the Multi-Set and point came out wrong again! I then saw that even though I set my correct instrument and backsight points in the Occupy Point routine, the Multi-Set instrument and backsight points were moving ahead. I then learned that you had to set them in the Multi-Set routine. Is that how this was intended to work?

I think these things would greatly enhance the user friendliness of FieldGenius and look forward to other replies.
cadrum

Postby Jason Poitras » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:55 am

Hello,

The precision setting for directions and distances is currently being worked on.

Inverse toolbar is currently being updated - look for the new one in the 2.0.4 version.

Multiset - The assumption being made is that if you store the point as a TR "Traverse" point, FieldGenius will leap frog your setup for you. So for example if you start the Occupy Point command, your occupy point number will be advanced for you automatically. Since the multiset routine needs to confirm what point you're setup on, it also checks to see if you stored a TR point. If you stored one, it assumes you've moved to a different point. I guess a simple modification would to ask a question when the occupy point screen appears, "A TR shot was stored, do you want FieldGenius to advance to this point for you?" If you press Yes it advances, if you press no it doesn't change a thing. I've added this to our feature request list.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Stake correction buttons

Postby cadrum » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:27 am

Another thing I would like to see revised is the correction reporting buttons when staking a point. I usually accept a staking tolerance of 0.03’ (using Instrument as my staking reference). The problem comes in when I shoot a point and get a correction back like: Out 0.15’ and (green dot) 0.03’. I make the 0.15’ correction out, but have to take a wild guess as to which way that 0.03’ is (left or right?). I take another shot and get something like this: (green dot) 0.01’ and L 0.07’. Dang it! I guessed the wrong way. Correct up and take another shot. My work around is to just set the stake tolerance to 0.00’ which kind of defeats the purpose of having a tolerance. I like the green dot visual, but would also still like to see the correction direction. Especially since there is still space for it on the button.
cadrum

Postby Grant » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:05 pm

I'll tack one of my wishes onto the thread.
I'd like to see a project-rename function in the Project Manager.
Grant

Postby Jason Poitras » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:40 pm

Hi Grant,

I agree that would be handy. I would also like to see a Duplicate Project command.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby CHRIS L » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:02 pm

Just my wish for the ability to enter direction into the RTS command using the #..# ...I love the new rotation command.....still have to inverse, write down the bearing, then type it back in.....But hey, I'm sure it will come.

New Triangle calc and slide area calcs are great....Great Improvement!!!!!

Keep up the good work guys!!!!

Chris
CHRIS L

Return to FieldGenius