[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MicroSurvey Software Inc. • View topic - GPS Issues-ZXtreme

GPS Issues-ZXtreme

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

GPS Issues-ZXtreme

Postby Terry Westendorf » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:32 pm

O.K., so I was just about horse laughed at by one of your salesman when I said, "There is no Raw Data Logging button in the software that is depicted in page 279 or 280" of the FG Manual. So, what about turning the raw data logging on and off? What about setting the logging rate?

Also, while querying the receivers FG leaves most of the default settings in place. Well, usually you would think this is a good thing, it's not. The Fast CPD setting is left ON, it should be turned OFF if you want survey accurate positions. The confidence factor is left to the default of 90.0%, we really need to see 99.0% to 99.9%. receiver dynamics needs to be set at quasi-static when locating a control point (ie, traverse point, property corner). And finally, the ZXtreme has 5 multipath settings, FG leaves the default setting of 3 in place.

You have to imagine that you've taken a plane, a boat, a horse, and hiked half of another day to get to where you need to be. You fire up your receiver and it starts to act up and now you're going to reset it....you guys know what I'm talking about. Now you're in real trouble because your presets are gone, your laptop with the Receiver Communication Software is in your truck at the airport and FG CAN'T SETUP YOU'RE RECEIVER.

Terry Westendorf
NCPLS
Terry Westendorf, PLS
MITCHELL-WESTENDORF, P.A.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Terry Westendorf

Postby louismullen » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:39 am

Terry

You can save a gps rover or base profile with all the setting set to your preferences. You can if you wish then switch to different tolerence levels quite easly.

I agree there is no command to store raw data.

If you have specific questions on setting up the extreme email me and I will try to help.

Regards

Loui.
louismullen

Postby Terry Westendorf » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:28 am

Hi Loui,

Unfortunately, the rover and base profiles don't address the above mentioned settings or issues.

And now I have final confirmation that the raw data logging button does not exist within the FG software.

I'd like a company man, perferably one of your GPS guru's to jump in here anytime and set us all straight. Microsurvey salesmen have mentioned in the past that the company wants to improve upon their GPS data collection module. Here is great time to setup and listen to the end users. You guys have good software and Glen Cameron is great at support, but you have to improve upon what you have and make it flawless so surveyors trust the software. If you're having problems with the receiver settings, email me.
Terry Westendorf, PLS
Terry Westendorf

Postby louismullen » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:50 am

Hi Terry

I do tech support for a survey supplies company in Ireland. We are microsurvey dealers here. We are also Thales ( Ashtech ) main dealers so I am fairly familar with various combinations and issues encountered in general day to day situations.

Over the next month or so I will be working closely with Jason atMicroSurvey to improve the support for the Thales z-max GPS. This is the newer version of the extreme. I reckon most of the improvments will also work on the extreme.

Email me a list of your suggestions / requirements and I will keep them in mind.

Regards

Louis
louismullen

Postby Jason Poitras » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:23 pm

Hi Terry,

The raw data logging function is only available on the Trimble, Topcon, Leica and Novatel drivers. I will add a note to update this in the manual.

As Louis mentioned we will be working closely with him in the coming months to improve the Extreme driver. I also have an email that you sent James on file with your feature requests.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
jason.poitras@microsurvey.com
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby Terry Westendorf » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:02 pm

So what is the meaning of the phrase "we support .........."? A survey grade GPS receiver is not a EDM. You can get in real trouble if the receiver is not properly setup going back to my initial post. FG does not address those issues I have mentioned and I want all the newcomers to the world of GPS RTK to pay attention to this post. It is not like pushing a button on a EDM, and software in general may not be providing the accuracy you really need to complete an assignment. All survey-grade receivers generally yield the same statistical accuracy if they are setup properly. Know your equipment, don't depend on software companies to know it for you. I think this thread demonstrates that to the end.
Terry Westendorf, PLS
Terry Westendorf

Return to FieldGenius