Layers created by AutoMAP - color BYBLOCK?

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Layers created by AutoMAP - color BYBLOCK?

Postby marko » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:57 am

When AutoMAP creates layers for us, it does not use the color specified for the layer in my library... It is assigning a color of 0 (zero) which is BYBLOCK.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a fix or workaround?

thanks
Mark Cahill BCLS
marko

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:37 am

I just did a simple example here creating a description in AutoMAP of GLEN. I set all of the layers for the point number, node, elevation, description and linework to go to the layer GLEN and set them all to a colour of red.

I then used the Store and Edit Points command to set a new point with the descirption of GLEN - it worked as expected, everything was red.

Keep in mind it only uses the colour when first creating the layer. So if you have 2 settings going to the same layer, the first one used to create the layer will control the colour. Any other setting with a different colour will be ignored.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby rwhatman » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:48 am

I found that if you set no color in AutoMap the Color is 255

Which means you are over riding AutoMap colors by setting your colors
by Block and not by Layer.

Check by doing rescale.

If the layer is still colour 0 then in the Layer manager it must be set to 0
rwhatman

Postby marko » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:07 am

hey Glen,

I'm clear on how it works...not overwriting the configuration of layers that are already existing in the drawing...this is why is puzzles me that I see the problem as I've checked my drawing and do not have a UTILITIES layer prior to seeing the problem.

When the failure occurs during a reprocess of traverse data, I get a message "Error (TYWE23PP ) creating layer" and see the following in the command line:

The file contains 2 instrument setups.
Calculating ........
Error(3) creating layer: UTILITIESinsert_sp_block

When I see this, I look in the Layer Manager and see the new layer with colour set to 0.

For this example, I have my AutoMAP entry set to insert the symbol on UTILITIES, the Descrption on UTILITIES with color 6, and I have the Linework layer option also set to UTILITIES with the color = 6. (No linework is being drawn....this was an old trick to get the layers set up as desired prior to the latest AutoMAP revisions.)

The block file includes only a circle, drawn on the layer UTILITIES with color = 6.

thanks
Mark Cahill BCLS
marko

Postby marko » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:14 am

Interesting...

If I edit the block by putting the entities on the layer 0, and then purge the UTILTIES layer from the block file, the problem goes away. Why might that be?
Mark Cahill BCLS
marko

Postby marko » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:18 am

Further testing shows the problem may originate due to UTILTIES being the current layer within the problem block. I found another that was similar...only the current layer in the block file was not UTITLTIES.
Mark Cahill BCLS
marko

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:15 pm

OK - I drew a symbol on a current layer called GLEN. The layer GLEN was red. I saved the symbol to the hard drive to GLEN.DWG. I then purged the symbol from the current drawing. I then deleted the GLEN layer.

I setup AutoMAP to insert the symbol GLEN on a layer GLEN. I set all of the other layer options to go to layer GLEN and set this layer to BLUE in all cases.

When I use Store and Edit Points and set a new point with the description GLEN, I get the correct symbol, on the layer GLEN, along with all of the text, etc. related to the point. Layer GLEN is BLUE and the symbol and all text are also drawn in BLUE, as expected.

I guess I am either missing something or can't reproduce it here.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Postby marko » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:28 pm

I don't think I've seen it fail from the Store & Edit points dialog...it's usually when processing a traverse file.
Mark Cahill BCLS
marko

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:35 pm

Hmmm, Just edited a traverse file to place the description GLEN on several points. Deleted the block and layer from the drawing - recoordinate the traverse and all instances of the description GLEN were handled as expected.

I ran the re-scale complete drawing command, as well as the MSAUDIT and AUDIT commands a few times. No problems seen.

There must be something else that we are (I am) missing or overlooking that is the twister!

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Postby marko » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:16 pm

In my problem block drawing, I had the current layer set as "GLEN" and the color set to BYLAYER.

I think the current layer in the block matching the AutoMAPP'd layer causes the problem
Mark Cahill BCLS
marko

Re: Layers created by AutoMAP - color BYBLOCK?

Postby rwhatman » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:57 am

marko wrote:When AutoMAP creates layers for us, it does not use the color specified for the layer in my library... It is assigning a color of 0 (zero) which is BYBLOCK.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a fix or workaround?

thanks

I am not sure what the problem is as every block I insert comes in the Layer I want.

Now lets look at a block we all have ICI_FLP .

If you open this drawing you will see that this block
is on Layer 0 COLOR 7.

When I inserted using Automap. I have Symbol insertion Layer set to BARS and have set the color to 7.

This is what I get every time. What do you get.
rwhatman

Postby marko » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:57 am

Hi Richard,

I think the problem I had occurs only when the block drawing contains a non-0 layer name, this layer is set as current in the block file, and AutoMAP is set to use this same layer name for the insertion of the block.

For example, the block drawing contains a layer named 'Mark', and it is set as current. The second requirment is that AutoMAP is set to insert the block in my project drawing on the layer 'Mark', and this layer does not yet exist in my project drawing.

In this case, layer 'Mark' gets created by AutoMAP, with the color 0 (which is, BYBLOCK), despite my specifying the color 6 for 'Mark' in AutoMAP

thanks for your input.
Mark Cahill BCLS
marko

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:38 pm

That is exactly what I did in my example above. AutoMAP can't even pick the color BYBLOCK when defining the layer to insert it on. I just tried it again here and did not set the colour of the layer when setting the layer name for the symbol to be placed on, or any of the other layer settings in AutoMAP - and it still placed the symbol on the correct layer.

The new layer MARK was set to white (7) (which shows as colour 256 meaning by layer) and the block GLEN which was inserted on layer MARK in the original colour it was drawn with. If you set the layer colour in AutoMAP to something else, then this colour over-rules the original colour in the symbol (as long as AutoMAP creates the layer).

---------- Insert of Block ----------------------------------------
Handle: F8
Current space: Model
Layer: MARK
Color: 256 (BYLAYER)
Linetype: ByLayer
Lineweight: -1
Block name: GLEN
Insertion point: X= 608563.276 Y= 5791131.172 Z= 0.000
X scale factor: 0.250
Y scale factor: 0.250
Z scale factor: 1.000
Rotation angle: 0°0'0"

Checking the Point Number which was treated in the same way for layering, it shows:

---------- Text ---------------------------------------------------
Handle: 1B6
Current space: Model
Layer: MARK
Color: 256 (BYLAYER)
Linetype: ByLayer
Lineweight: -1
Text style: POINTNUMBER
Insertion point: X= 617603.573 Y= 5805356.216 Z= 0.000
Text height: 20.000
Text value: 152
Rotation angle: 0°0'0"
Generation: Normal
Vertical alignment: Baseline
Horizontal alignment: Left

Not sure if we are comparing apples to apples or not but I think we are and I can't reproduce what you are describing.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Postby marko » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:50 pm

OH OH...my bad!....this is happening in inCAD2006, and did in 2004 as well. I'll do some testing here to see if it happens in MSCAD. If it does, I'll send ya some data and my library.

Sorry about that...too much software on one system!
Mark Cahill BCLS
marko

Postby rwhatman » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:15 am

Marko

No we are talking same apples.

We are both right.

The CAD LIST command shows all blocks that I have found as Color: 256 (BYLAYER)

Glen will have to explain, but the color of the blocks do come
in on the right color.
rwhatman

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:19 am

No problem Mark - send me some files that will reproduce it and then we can get it fixed! :)

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD