OPEN/ CLOSE MSCAD2005 BEHAVIOUR

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

OPEN/ CLOSE MSCAD2005 BEHAVIOUR

Postby Richard Sands » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:29 am

I notice MSCAD 2005 behaves differently when a job is opened from an already running MSCAD or the file is clicked in explorer. Closing a 'clicked open' job also closes Mscad whereas if MSCAD is running then a job is opened and closed MSCAD remains open. This seems strange and unexpected. Happens on both laptop and PC. Curious as to reason?
regards Richard
Richard Sands

Postby rwhatman » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:55 am

Try explorer option OPEN WITH
Mscad should work right now.

I have my explorer set open with Autocad, so I have to Open with to use Mscad from explorer.
rwhatman

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:18 am

The difference is that the drawing is spawning the program and when that drawing is closed the program is closed. If the program spawns the drawing then it remains open when the drawing is closed.

I have always recommended that people open the drawing using our MicroSurvey Project Manager, for consistancy.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Richard Sands » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:03 pm

I do have my explorer set to open with Autocad. Glen it seems to be the only program I have that works that way, is there a performance reason or some other that this should work like this? Could it be changed? Added to Wish List? regards Richard
Richard Sands

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:51 pm

It has not been mentioned as a problem before and is the way the programmers wrote it. I can send it off as a wish idea to see if IntelliCAD would change it. It will depend upon how many people world wide want to see the change, as to when/if it will get changed.

I always open my drawings using the MicroSurvey Project Manager so have not run into this as an issue before.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:11 pm

I just tried to reproduce the issue you mentioned (so I could document it completely) and was unable to.

I opened "My Computer" and went to a folder that had a DWG file in it. I double clicked on the DWG file and MSCAD2005 fired up as expected, with the drawing open. I then closed just the DWG file and MSCAD2005 remained open allowing me to then open another drawing or start a new one, as normal.

I then opened a DWG file from "My Computer" using the "Open With" option and it worked exactly the same.

James in our head office said his worked fine as well.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Postby Richard Sands » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:00 pm

Just retried - defenitely closes program as stated before. Oddly if I open MSCAD but no job and then click on a dwg in explorer it opens in the running version of MSCAD. Closing the job MSCAD stays open (supports your previous comments I s'pose).
I run XP Pro and XP Home both latest SP's. and SP1.3. I've often thought i should get a CD version of MSCAD - maybe gets messed up on the download. (long way to Canada!! - still havent made that trip here yet Glen and its warming up, sort of, here now - you could bring it with you)
regards Richard
Richard Sands

Postby azstew » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:07 pm

Richard is kinda right, from my limited experience with MS.

Sometimes double clicking in Explorer, I get a default tool bar, not mine.

But it's like the guy that hits his head with a hammer.....

It feels so good when I stop!

I agree with Glen.

For consistancy, open drawings from within MSCad.
azstew

Return to MicroSurvey CAD