Convert a FLX file to DWG

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Convert a FLX file to DWG

Postby Glen A. Quarmby » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:01 pm

I need to access an archived FLX format drawing. I am using MS2005 and I don't see a command to read in the old FLX format. I know I could convert to a DWG from an FLX in MS2004 but I don't have MS2004 loaded anymore.
My questions are:
1) How can I convert this file? and
2) Shouldn't the conversion routine be included in the newest version to read the older version (assuming I haven't missed something)?
Glen A. Quarmby

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:11 pm

MSCAD2005 is based upon the IntelliCAD engine where the old MSCAD2004 was based upon the FelixCAD engine.

FelixCAD used the FLX format, which they alone created. No one else can read the FLX file format. They can also work with DWG files, so the FLX files can be converted by them to DWG files.

IntelliCAD uses the DWG format, which is the industry standard. There is no way to include the FLX technology to convert the FLX to DWG in IntelliCAD.

So what it boils down to is you would need a copy of MSCAD2004 or FelixCAD installed to be able to convert FLX files to DWG so the rest of the world, including MSCAD2005 (and IntelliCAD) can work with them.

A free copy of FelixCAD LT may still be available from:pick here
It should allow you to do the conversions of any FLX files you still have, that need to be converted to DWG format.

Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD