LCD Monitor Display

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

LCD Monitor Display

Postby nettech » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:53 am

My 19" CRT monitor has died; must replace it immediately.
Am currently running 2004, but will be upgrading to 2005 very soon.
Have been unable to get a straight answer from several of the major computer stores to this question:
Will MS-CAD display properly on a wide-screen monitor with resolution of
1440 x 960 or 3/2 format? Or will the desktop be distorted by this configuration?
Many new LCD monitors have the standard native resolution of
1280 x 1024, which is the basice 4/3 format that I've been using, but at 1024 x 768 resolution.
Expedient help on this would be greatly appreciated.
My draughting computer is running Windows XP with all service packs installed.

Thanks,

Nettech
nettech

MONITORS

Postby Richard Sands » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:16 am

Gday PJ. Is there a reason you want widescreen? I ran 2004 on my widescreen laptop and it worked OK.
I have a 20" Samsung and a 21" Viewsonic both normal screens and I'm more than satisfied. I run them at higher res (cant remember what).
Can you take a laptop with MSCAD in and hook that into a screen and try?
regards Richard
Richard Sands

Postby CHRIS L » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:34 am

I would be surprised if there is any type of problems. We have a dell with a 20" widescreen and it runs ever program we have without any problems. It might actually benefit you with more toolbar space
CHRIS L

LCD Monitor Display

Postby nettech » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:58 am

GDay from UpOver, Richard,
I was offered a "deal" on a 24" Samsung unit and though, as per Chris L.'s reply, that it might provide more area for toolbars. But given the fact that I could buy an anvil, with performance issues, I thought it best to pose my question in the User Forum for a definitive resolution....no pun intended. I journeyed to the store c/w my MSC CD but was told store policy prohibited installation but was "assured", by a sales associate younger than my vehicle, that there would be no problems. Being the sceptic I am, and having read a few acccounts of display problems on wide screens with other apps, I held off buying the unit until I could post here for feed-back. Thanks to both you and Chris.

Nettech
nettech

Postby CHRIS L » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:33 am

I'd try it......if it doesn't work, take it back.....since they assured you it would work.

I have a computer at home hooked up to a 40" lcd tv and it get weird results...but that is with games that automatically force fit to the extents of the TV....its like 1010x660 ......then I just figure out how to adjust the resolution within the game which I have not had a problem with as of yet.

With MSCAD not being a force fit program....meaning you can minimize and maximize the size....you should be able to adjust it to fit right in there...if for some reason it looks strange....
CHRIS L

Postby azstew » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:56 am

I run 2005 on a wide screen 14.1 laptop with no distortion.

But I prefer the dual 1600x1200s on my desk.

I'd highly recommend the higher rez 20.1"s or 23-24" @ 1600x1200.

You'd get ~40% more working area.
azstew

LCD Monitor Display

Postby nettech » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:04 am

Just curious as to how the small the icons are with 1600 x 1200 resolution?
Having more screen area would be a real plus but, with my aging eyes, discerning the icons could be a challenge.

Thanks,

Nettech
nettech

Postby azstew » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:00 am

No problem with my 60 YO old eyes. ;-)

Is there a store where you can look at different monitors, before ordering?

The 14x10 screen would be nice for watching movies, but for productivity, 16x12 is much better.

I'm considering adding either my 2 17's in portrait mode, or a 24" 1990x1200 to my duals, for even more room.

Good Luck!
azstew

LCD Monitor Display

Postby nettech » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:18 am

Well, I'm pleased to know there's another old fart out there. Just invested in new lenses, myself, which helped immensely.
Yup, we have stores, c/w with sales people; they're 60 Km away, which makes it a tad less easy to shop and compare.
Following your previous advice, as well as Chris and Richard's, I made the trip again, to another large store, this time being allowed to load and run the software. Tried several brands and models and settled on a standard-sized, 20" monitor that supports a variety of resolutions. The price and warranty were good, as well, and I was fortunate in having a young salesman who spent a great deal of time making sure I was satisfied; rather refreshing.
Thanks muchly for your input. The difference in work area and the clarity are marvelous. Thanks also to Chis and Richard, as well.

Nettech
nettech

Return to MicroSurvey CAD