[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MicroSurvey Software Inc. • View topic - modifications to eliminate losing edits

modifications to eliminate losing edits

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

modifications to eliminate losing edits

Postby artb » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:13 pm

2007/01/08

Further to your statement that you are listening and are interested in what features you can add or improve upon to improve your product I will offer some comments related to editing features in your programs that would ,I believe, greatly enhance your program and remove one of the greater frustrations that I experience and I am confident that I am not alone in that area.

This relates to editing that is lost everytime you use your rotation routines, rescaling routiness and likely any other features where your program deals with relocating the entities of a drawing.

I did bring up this issue prior to my using 2002 and later 2005. Briefly I suggested that you needed to create some routines in your programs so that moving entities such as point numbers, dimensions, etc would remain where you moved them if you had to rotate the drawing or rescale the drawing rather than having them all return to the default positions thus resulting in losing all the editing that you had done to that point. The whole reason for needing these edits is to eliminate the conflict of information on the screen and, ultimately, the ensuing plans.

I was very explicit in my first effort to include point numbers, moved dimensions, and other entities. At that time I was told that this had already been looked after in the newer versions that I hadn't ,at that time, upgraded to.

When I did become involved in the 2001, 2002 and 2005 I discovered that these issues had not been addressed and was very disappointed. Voicing my disappointment I was then advised that only the editing directly related to the database dimensions was updated although my earlier questions were apparently not answered correctly.

That aside I want to impress upon you that I personally believe that it is essential that some serious consideration is needed to revamp your program so that all of the editing of point numbers, moved dimensions, etc be preserved in later routines such as rotating the database, rescaling drawings etc be preserved.

If the position of everything related to the point numbers is tied to the co-ordinate of that point it can obviously retain that relative position in the revised drawing after the rotation, rescaling etc.

I realize that this will require more memory than one common default position for all these entities but in todays world of mega memory computers, hard drives, etc I don't believe that this should be a problem.

I can assure you that this improvement would eliminate countless hours of frustration when we have to re-edit hours of a drawing because we had to utilize one of the routines that return everything to default positions.

As it currently is we are extremely hesitant to employ some of those routines unless we absolutely have to because of this unfavorable result of using it. The rotation and rescaling features are great BUT!!!!! the undesirable results of losing the prior editing makes you reluctant to use them.

I chose to put this suggestion in the User Forum as I thought this may generate some support for my suggestions (or not) as I believe that others may feel the same.

The feedback that you may get, positive or negative, from others would be a good indicator of whether this issue is a good one to pursue.

Artb
artb
artb

Postby Ed Gasbarre » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:01 pm

I must agree. One common problem is performing a coordinate file rotation late in the drawing process.

Example: Once lines have been labelled with bearings and distances, these values are often moved to a more suitable location along the desired line. Also, the text value may be edited to change the quadrant of a bearing or perhaps place a space between the quadrant letter and the angular value (ie from N26°26'15"E to S 26°26'15" W).

If a coordinated rotation and/or translation is applied after such editing, then all the editing is lost because the line labels revert to their original insertion point and orientation.

My current workaround is to determine my basis of bearings prior to working on the finished drawing, although sometimes a more appropriate bearing base shows up later in the project.

This is not a major issue to me, but then again my projects are relatively small. However, those working on major subdivision plats may beg to differ. :lol:
Ed Gasbarre

Postby rwhatman » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:58 pm

This problem has been address and it is solved.

Check with the Support Help Desk.
rwhatman

Postby artb » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:13 pm

At what point do we ,as users, see the solution this loss of editing that you say has been solved.

I am currently running mscad2005 and it is still an issue in that program?
artb
artb

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:08 pm

MSCAD2005 SP#1.3:
I just moved a bearing away from it's default location in my drawing - I also moved a Point Number and Description away from their default locations.

I then rotated the entire drawing about another point. The Bearing remained in the same relative position that I have moved it to. The Bearing was also removed from the database automatically. The Point Number and Description both were reset to the default locations because the point was moved from it's original position. So, just like new points, moved points use the labeling defaults to determine where the text would go on screen. They do not hold the edited position of the text when moved in any way.

I then ran the Re-scale Complete Drawing command and changed the drawing scale a few times - the text size was adjusted but the positions remained where I have moved them to for the Bearing, Point Number and Description.

I am not sure what fixes RWHATMAN was referring to. These issues are on our list to examine.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby rwhatman » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:37 pm

rwhatman

Postby artb » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:19 pm

artb
artb

Postby rwhatman » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:00 am

rwhatman

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:03 am