MSCAD 2005 crash

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

MSCAD 2005 crash

Postby Gord » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:31 pm

How often have other users had problems with MSCAD 2005 crashing for no apparent reason? This time it happened when I was in the active coordinate editor and did the Change Selection Layer command. Received a CAD error and when re-opening the drawing, everything I did from last save on was gone.
Glad it wasn't a big job :(
Gord

Re: MSCAD 2005 crash

Postby rwhatman » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:59 pm

Gord wrote:How often have other users had problems with MSCAD 2005 crashing for no apparent reason? This time it happened when I was in the active coordinate editor and did the Change Selection Layer command. Received a CAD error and when re-opening the drawing, everything I did from last save on was gone.
Glad it wasn't a big job :(

Are you using Patch 1.3

I have not seen this problem. I have not crashed since version 1.

I have set my AutoSave for 15 min.

I can crash this program, but I am good at that.
rwhatman

Postby Gord » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:22 pm

The top of the window says 'MicroSurvey CAD 2005 SP1.3"
The most common crash I get is working with DTM's. I just finished a 3.5 kilometre road survey and if I told the 'puter to display the contours and then zoomed with the wheel on the mouse before the generation of contours was complete, I would crash it. Of course I was asking for 0.25 metre contours on close to 3000 point topo! I figure that crash is more likely the fault of my 'puter than the program.
I will start keeping track of any crashes I get, this is the only one I remember off hand that occurred when doing something that isn't borderline ridiculous to ask of a computer.
Gord
Gord

DTMS CRASHES

Postby Richard Sands » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:41 pm

I have always experienced the odd problem with creating DTM's and using the modelling in 2005SP1.3. I have at times had to revert to 2004 . The issues didn't surface in 2004 when I did that.
(I have a very new PC 3.2 dual core XPPro, with 2 gig ram and 528 graphics so I don't consider it a resource issue)
I have this same issue also on my laptop.
I also have isues at times with the active coordinate editor and the layer change - same result as you. I and others on forum recommend the backup facility. I do it often - you can get rid of early backups if needed as large jobs soon pile data on the disc.
Its frustrating but rest assured youre not alone on this.
regards Richard
Richard Sands

Postby rwhatman » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:40 pm

I said I wasn't going to give a tip, but here it is anyway.

1. After you Draw your contours, push save and exit the drawing.
There is too much for any computer to handle at this point.

2. Never use Italic Complex type on a drawing before you draw the contours. This has been a long standing Bug.

Do these 2 things and you wont Crash after drawing contours.
rwhatman

MODELLING

Postby Richard Sands » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:12 pm

I'm posting this to a new thread as its more suited, but I'm curious as to what others see the Modelling Tools for and how far they 'stretch' MSCAD in that area.
I gather unless the developers get specific requests then the development either lags or just stays still.
regards Richard
Richard Sands

Postby Gord » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:07 pm

rwhatman wrote:I said I wasn't going to give a tip, but here it is anyway.

2. Never use Italic Complex type on a drawing before you draw the contours. This has been a long standing Bug.

1 in your suggestions wouldn't work in the way I was working on one particular drawing. I like to just SHOW the contours first because it's easy to look for blunders. You can see sharp elevation changes with single points quickly with tight contours then decide if the point is correct or shouldn't be in the DTM. Ie. top of a hydrant.
The crash in this instance would come if I tried a mouse wheel zoom while the computer was still generating contours.
Cheers,
G
Gord

Postby rwhatman » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:22 am

Gord wrote:
rwhatman wrote:I said I wasn't going to give a tip, but here it is anyway.

1 in your suggestions wouldn't work in the way I was working on one particular drawing. I like to just SHOW the contours first because it's easy to look for blunders. You can see sharp elevation changes with single points quickly with tight contours then decide if the point is correct or shouldn't be in the DTM. Ie. top of a hydrant.
The crash in this instance would come if I tried a mouse wheel zoom while the computer was still generating contours.
Cheers,
G

Your right. I forget I have removed Blunders ahead of time.
I contour only points with description OG (original ground).
I save the extracted points before I draw them.

I have no Crashes drawing contours. I gave you a few ideas that help
not all.

Have a great day
rwhatman

Postby Gord » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:53 pm

rwhatman wrote:Your right. I forget I have removed Blunders ahead of time.

not all.

Have a great day

I tie in top of slope, toe of slope, etc etc for breaklines which makes a nicer DTM so I can't just use only OG. Just personal preference, I'm sure we all make pretty drawings in the end :)
Gord

Postby rwhatman » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:00 pm

Gord wrote:
rwhatman wrote:Your right. I forget I have removed Blunders ahead of time.

not all.

Have a great day

I tie in top of slope, toe of slope, etc etc for breaklines which makes a nicer DTM so I can't just use only OG. Just personal preference, I'm sure we all make pretty drawings in the end :)

Try this "OG toe" as one discription. Just put a Space between the description and all the shots will be some part of OG.

Makes it easer to sort out.

And your right my drawing is the best. :D
rwhatman

Postby Gord » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:07 pm

rwhatman wrote:Try this "OG toe" as one discription. Just put a Space between the description and all the shots will be some part of OG.

Makes it easer to sort out.

And your right my drawing is the best. :D

Well there is likely to be a debate on who makes the best drawings ;) but you've certainly opened my eyes regarding the description. Usually the vast majority of points I take on a topo are to be included in the DTM but when that's the case, start the descriptions for points that aren't supposed to be in the DTM with ND and just exclude everything that starts like that. Easy in active point editor --> sort by description then 'remove from DTM'.
Thanks for getting the gray matter working!
BTW, who do you work for in Peterborough? OLS? Eng?
Cheers,
Gord
Gord

MODELLING

Postby Richard Sands » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:37 pm

This is a very practical reason why we need the ability to flag points as contourable or not contourable. This would save a lot of work. Automap could be setup to do this.
regards Richard
Richard Sands

Return to MicroSurvey CAD