MODELLING

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

MODELLING

Postby Richard Sands » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:26 pm

I'm curious as to what others see the Modelling Tools for and how far they 'stretch' MSCAD in that area.
I use it for far more than just producing contours and sending off a plan depicting how the terrain looks.
Some Egs. Dam and building pad design, Comparing different surfaces, contouring the difference to depict depth contours. Extrapolate and Drape also extremely useful in my work.
I have been with MSCAD from 3.1 when it came with a large manual specifically for Modelling (Quickserf). There's been a few little routines that have disappeared over the develoment of MSCAD and it'd be a shame to see progress in this area held back.
I gather unless the developers get specific requests then the development either lags or just stays still.
regards Richard
Richard Sands

Re: MODELLING

Postby rwhatman » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:07 am

Richard Sands wrote:I'm curious as to what others see the Modelling Tools for and how far they 'stretch' MSCAD in that area.
I use it for far more than just producing contours and sending off a plan depicting how the terrain looks.
Some Egs. Dam and building pad design, Comparing different surfaces, contouring the difference to depict depth contours. Extrapolate and Drape also extremely useful in my work.
I have been with MSCAD from 3.1 when it came with a large manual specifically for Modelling (Quickserf). There's been a few little routines that have disappeared over the develoment of MSCAD and it'd be a shame to see progress in this area held back.
I gather unless the developers get specific requests then the development either lags or just stays still.
regards Richard

I still have the Quickserf book. They have made the Modelling easyer to use and thats all. They have not added anything to it.

In fact they have removed some of the programs that had problems moving to a better Cad engine.

More Users Need to post what they want changed, Added or improved.

MicroSurvey 2005 is now more then a year old and if you don't know it now you never will.

Having the 2005 on the products name is not going to make it sell.
We should be seeing 2007 soon. Thats my guess, as I don't know.

I am sure the Cad engine will be improved and MicroSurvey always
comes out with 1 big surprise.

Richard Whatman

P.S. Tip for MicroSurvey
Call your program MicroSurvey 2008
This way it fresh and will sell till your next great issue
rwhatman

Postby Alex Leonard » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:16 am

Although relatively new to MS-Cad, I think I've been ushing the envellope on modelling (at least that's the input I get from tech support calls).
Mostly I have been trying to design building pads with tiered retaining walls.
Just go ahead and try to drop vertical (or very-nearly vertical) transitions on a surface.
Been practicing a lot using the randomly generated terrains for finding the limitations of that routine.
It "kinda works"...

Alex
Alex Leonard

Modelling - Retaining walls

Postby Richard Sands » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:05 am

Vertical and near vertical walls are situations that cause other programs some grief too. I find things work better if the horizontal separation is exagurated a bit to the preffered. The end results may not be accurate to the nth degree, but earthwork volumes always have a fairly loose accuracy in practise anyway. Break lines which walls are, if too close and cross will give headcahes.
regards Richard
Richard Sands

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:59 am

MSCAD 2008 is under development right now. It will be out a little later this year (no specific release date set as yet). (No, I can't tell you what it will contain - that is top secret and I would get shot if I say anything right now :lol: )

MSCAD 2009/2010 (or whatever it will be called), the next version, will see some major rebuilding/rewriting and advancement of the modelling routines and related routines. The entire team of programmers will be dedicated to this end!

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Alex Leonard » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:31 am

Glen,
Glad to hear about all the new development efforts. I had heard hints that the modelling routines will be scrutinized in the future and will be happy to give them a try once they are in beta.

Alex
Alex Leonard

Postby Alex Leonard » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:36 am

Richard,

have you noticed situations where the Site Design routine "punches through" (or "leaks past") an existing surface?
Have spent many hours trying to adjust node and grid densities to stop this from happening (sometimes it does).

Glad to see someone else on this forum who is using the program for earthwork calculations. After topo work and grading plan design, that is one of my principal uses for the application.

Best wishes,
Alex
Alex Leonard

Postby Richard Sands » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:49 pm

gday Alex,
have you noticed situations where the Site Design routine "punches through" (or "leaks past") an existing surface

Yes that happens occasionally where my design is running close to the limits and the top/ toe of cut/ fill batters actually encroach over the DTM boundary. I usually try and envisage what the design is likely to be (if possible) and make sure I more than cover that area in my survey with a bit to spare, but in event of 'leaks' I just add a few extra points manually and add them to the model, to get over the problem. I look at the contours and add points accordingly.
Not sure if this is on topic and answers your question?
Modelling is very much part of my day to day work and welcome any improvements.

Glen - roll on next version - its been a long wait.
regards, Richard
Richard Sands

Return to MicroSurvey CAD