[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MicroSurvey Software Inc. • View topic - misleading toggles

misleading toggles

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

misleading toggles

Postby artb » Thu May 10, 2007 11:36 am

2007/05/10

Your program creates some misleading screens where the snap options (i.e. endpoint, intersections etc) are concerned.

One example of this is when you toggle on the slide text command [ TT icon] the indented snaps that we may have turned on at the time will no longer be depressed. This suggests that there are no snaps activated. However when you activate the text slide some? all? of the snaps initially active before this routine was started will again become active. The net result is the text you are sliding may end up in a totally different location than you intended it to be. ( If you happen to cross a line with the pick box with the endpoint active is one example).

This problem basically stems from the fact that your programmers have not dealt with settings that we may have active when you initiate a routine. As much as possible any settings that we have active/or inactive prior to initiating a routine should be returned to that state when the routine is finished.

Alternatively when you deem it necessary to initiate some additional routine to carry out a calculation then that same additional routine should be deactivated when your primary routine is finished.

Having these unexpected results happening a 100 times a day while working with your program can be very frustrating.

Again I am placing this situation on your discussion board as others may be experiencing the same problem but may not have figured out why it is happening.

I sincerely hope that these problems are being dealt with as you become aware of them..

artb
artb
artb

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu May 10, 2007 1:03 pm

I did some testing in MSCAD2008 (which is in development right now and due out WHEN IT IS FULLY TESTED, no time frame for release as yet).

The esnaps are being denoted as off until you select the text to slide, then they are reactivated again, exactly as you had them before starting the command.

I can see where it could be confusing being they appear to be off and then on again at different stages of the command - but they need to be off when you are selecting the text.

Whether or not we should be turning them back on again during the meat of the command, is the question I would like to see answered.

When you exit this command the esnaps are reset as you had them prior to starting the command. We have looked at this and hopefully all (or a vast majority) of commands have this issue looked after now.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby artb » Fri May 11, 2007 11:25 am

2007/05/11

My take on it is that the esnaps should be off while you are sliding the text as well. I want to slide the text along the same direction that the text is currently on. I do not want to jump to an end point because I inadvertantly had the pick box over a line when I found the place that I want the text.

If there is an advantage in reactivating the esnaps while you are sliding the text then someone else will have to point out the advantage. I see none.

My basic position on similar situations is this:

If you need to alter any setting(s) to carry out your routine then the altered setting(s) should be returned to the original state AFTER your routine is finished.

Conversely if you have to activate a particular setting in order to execute your routine then that same routine should be turned off after your routine is finished. Just keep in mind that if we want a setting turned on or off we will do it. In other words leave the settings as you found them before your routine once your routine is finished.

If I read your response correctly then 2008 probably will have the same problem for me that 2005 has.

Art
artb
artb

SNAP SETTINGS

Postby Richard Sands » Fri May 11, 2007 12:17 pm

I raised the issue of Snap setings jumping about with Jason P and he suggested documenting where I feel it needs changing.
I'd like to see a dynamic key command that toggles between active / inactive snap set. The Alt or Ctrl key could be used. That's not what you're refeering to - just a suggestion - for 2008!! Thanks for the tease Glen.
regards, Richard
Richard Sands

Postby Glen Cameron » Mon May 14, 2007 10:29 am

ARTB - I have entered this issue into our bug tracking software, with your comments attached.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Postby Glen Cameron » Mon May 14, 2007 10:32 am

Richard - go to the bottom right of the screen, there should be a button labeled "ESNAP". If you right click on it you can turn the esnaps ON or OFF and they maintain the esnaps depressed that you had choosen. It just determines if they will be used or not. This may be similar to what you are suggesting.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

TOGGLE SNAPS

Postby Richard Sands » Mon May 14, 2007 10:52 pm

Gday Glen. Thats not really what I had in mind. My idea is for an 'on the fly' snap disabler such as hold Ctrl or Spacebar and it disables then release and it enables. Very useful for drawing info that generally requires a snap but then often there are times in the midst that I dont want any snap. Just like holding the Shift when drawing lines and the line becomes vertical or horizontal etc.
To me this is easier than the major mouse movement that is needed on the larger screens currently availabe and especially with dual monitors.
I would greatly appreciate such an option.
regards, Richard
Richard Sands

Re: TOGGLE SNAPS

Postby rwhatman » Tue May 15, 2007 8:18 am

rwhatman

SNAPS

Postby Richard Sands » Tue May 15, 2007 1:27 pm

Richard Sands

Return to MicroSurvey CAD