editing multiline text

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

artb

editing multiline text

Post by artb » Fri May 25, 2007 11:11 am

2007/05/25

I hope that you are or already have resolved the editing issues that arise inside mtext when you try to change text sizes. Its possible to get locked into a message that the text size is too small (or large??) and the message keeps coming up over and over and over again without allowing you to fix the damn thing.

I still haven't figured out what the little secret is to make this thing work without pullin out my hair.

It will finally let you out but it is a real pain

Art
artb

rwhatman

Re: editing multiline text

Post by rwhatman » Mon May 28, 2007 3:52 am

artb wrote:2007/05/25

I hope that you are or already have resolved the editing issues that arise inside mtext when you try to change text sizes. Its possible to get locked into a message that the text size is too small (or large??) and the message keeps coming up over and over and over again without allowing you to fix the damn thing.

I still haven't figured out what the little secret is to make this thing work without pullin out my hair.

It will finally let you out but it is a real pain

Art
There is a simple answer to the problem.
Make your Multiline BOX 3 times Larger then needed.

Glen Cameron

Post by Glen Cameron » Mon May 28, 2007 5:06 am

IntelliCAD has completed many changes, bug fixes, enhancements, etc. to the Mtext command and editing options. We will see these in the next version of our program, MSCAD 2008.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario

artb

response to whatman & cameron

Post by artb » Tue May 29, 2007 11:30 am

I fail to see how enlarging the text box will somehow resolve the problem. What I see that solution to the problem do is that the multiline text will now wrap in an area where it will no longer fit in your drawing.

I am setting the box size to the area where the text has to go. If I enlarge it then the text will simply NOT FIT in the area that I want it to fit.

While on the subject of bux fixes we, as users, obviously have a different take on how they should be dealt with. I believe that you have an obligation to provide some patches for the current program for the routines that are seriously deficient in how they are supposed to work.

I have no problem with having to update to the next version for enhancements to a program but I don't believe that it is fair to force a user to buy the next version to hopefully get a routine to now function in the way that the current program is already supposed to function.

artb
artb

rwhatman

Post by rwhatman » Tue May 29, 2007 1:02 pm

I am always leaving out something, so try again.

The box is just a work place to put text in it and I have found that I have had no problems if I make it larger.

Now I do one thing first before I make the box is that Pick my text
height first.

I make a box then I usely just hit Ctrl V to copy all the text that
I have copied from another file.

I save all my notes in other text files and just copy them into the Multiline
text box.

That is the only way I use it.

Glen Cameron

Post by Glen Cameron » Wed May 30, 2007 4:47 am

Art, I can't and won't get into a debate on how bug fixes are being handled and made available to our clients. A simple explaination on the process, may help cover things a bit.

Survey bugs are fixed internally by us. If they are critical, we normally add them to a service patch and issue it as we go.

CAD bugs are reported by us to IntelliCAD. They do supply patches for the CAD engine from time to time and some of these patches can be built into the current version of MSCAD. When this happens we issue a patch for MSCAD. For MSCAD2005 we issued 4 such patches (which included both survey and CAD fixes).

Some items take longer to fix and are not able to be completed during the current life span of a program version. When this happens the fixes, along with enhancements, are built into a new CAD engine version. We then take this new CAD engine version and build on top of it and integrate into it, all of the survey related routines that we program internally. Then we issue a new version of MSCAD.

Once a program version has been modified in enough ways, the fixes for some bugs can not be simply added to the older program version. They simply would not work due to all of the changes. The current version of the program is always in flux and at some time in the process, it is now a new version and the fixes will only work and be available in the new version.

We do try to get all fixes out as soon as we are able. Sometimes this does mean that they will be in a new version. MSCAD2008 is currently under development which is based upon the most current version of IntelliCAD and the most current version of our survey related routines. Once all internal testing is complete, we move to a Beta test cycle with a select few customers assisting in the testing of the product. Once that cycle is complete, the new program is finalized and released.

If anything is missed in the testing cycles, and is found later, we will do everything we can to get the issue resolved and a patch issued to cover it. If it takes longer than expected, then it will go into the next version - and so the cycle repeats and continues.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario