Creating an MSCAD drawing for importing into GIS.

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Creating an MSCAD drawing for importing into GIS.

Postby B. K. Lemons » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:50 pm

I have an ArcMap map with various shapefile and raster (aerial photo and USGS topo map) layers that I can reproject into any projection.

I have a metes and bounds description of a tract of land that I want to plot using COGO in MSCAD, then add the drawing as a layer in the ArcMap map. In other words, I want to use MSCAD COGO to draw the boundaries of the tract, then import that drawing into ArcMap.

This is likely going to be my principal use for MSCAD, to plot metes and bounds descriptions of tracts for importing into GIS. I would really appreciate it if someone could just point me in the right direction and give me a starting point to begin reading about how to do this. I've looked, and so far I haven't been able to find a good starting point.

From what little bit I know, which is really nothing, I'm thinking that it may be just a matter of determining the state plane or UTM coordinates of the first point I plot, then plotting the points accordingly, then somehow employing that coordinate system in the importing process. Then again, the process may be altogether different from that.

Thanks in advance for any tips that anyone might have.

Edit - After doing a search of this topic on this forum, I think the answer is going to be that MSCAD is not yet able to do this. Perhaps the 2008 version will have some ability in this regard.
B. K. Lemons

GIS EXPORT

Postby Richard Sands » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:21 pm

Why can't you just type in the boundaries in MSCAD. Save as a dxf or dwg in the format acceptable to the GIS program - probably need to save back to R14 to be safe.
Whern importing into GIS I just import the dwg and tell it (GIS program - in my case Manifold - a fantastic and low cost/ high powered GIS application) what coordinate system/ projection etc it is.
Not sure how your application handles layers so you may need to play with that side to get it best for you.
Works well this way for me.
regards, Richard
Richard Sands

Postby B. K. Lemons » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:44 pm

I can import the dwg directly into my GIS without converting it first, and it comes in as a group of all of the different layers of the drawing, no problem. The question has to do with how to first georeference the features in the layers, i.e., how to tell the GIS where to place the features in the ArcMap map.

What I've been doing so far is opening the dwg file with Canvas X w/GIS (which imports everything nicely, layers and all), georeferencing the features, then saving the Canvas file with all its layers as shapefiles. Then I just add the layers to the ArcMap map.

I'd like to be able to do that directly from dwg to ArcMap and exclude Canvas from the process. One way might be to set up the MSCAD drawing in the same coordinate system of the ArcMap map. But I don't know if you can do that or if that would work. That's why I'm asking.
B. K. Lemons

GIS EXPORT

Postby Richard Sands » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:10 am

I'm thinking that it may be just a matter of determining the state plane or UTM coordinates of the first point I plot, then plotting the points accordingly, then somehow employing that coordinate system in the importing process.

Thats how I would attempt this. Not familiar with ArcMap, but I would have thought there would have been a way to import dwg's directly into Arcmap and then assign a projection. The layers are already in effect georeferenced. (assuming you have started at some predetermined true grid coordinate) You shouldn't have to re-project the work if you have started with the correct coordinates and applied the appropriate scale factor (ground to grid) during your COGO entries.
As to the starting point, can you export a dwg or dxf from ArcMap and import that into MSCAD and then work from some known point (location) on that data to get the correct coordinates to start drawing boundaries from?
I certainly don't see the Canvas step as being necessary. I too have Canvas, but use that after things have been sorted in Manifold, or Mscad and then imported into Canvas for a 'prettier' map or plan.
Not sure if this helps, but it shouldn't be difficult to achieve what you want.
regards, Richard
Richard Sands

Postby B. K. Lemons » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:59 am

Richard, it was "starting at some predeteremined true grid coordinate" that I was asking about, i.e, whether that is the way to georeference the data. ArcMap walks, talks and dances a jig. You can, indeed, assign a projection to or reproject data in ArcMap. It's just a matter of georeferencing in the beginning.

Sounds like that is the way to approach it. If anyone out there has another or a better way that they can share with me, or really just point me to a spot that I can begin reading about it, I would certainly appreciate it.

One of the advantages of using Canvas is that I can begin with projected MrSid rasters, import the MSCAD drawing and overlay it, point and click and move the drawing components to their proper position, and with that they are automatically placed and can be saved as shapefiles.
B. K. Lemons

Return to MicroSurvey CAD