polyine arc crashes

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

polyine arc crashes

Postby artb » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:29 am

I discovered a crash scenario that is reproducible so I want to pass it on for elimination if that has not already been done.

In MS2005 it is almost impossible to use the fillet command where curves form one of more of the lines that you are trying to fillet. Many really strange things happen but getting the lines filleted is not one of them.

As a result you have to get creative to try and accomplish connecting 2 lines "sans" the fillet command. Ms2005 allows you generally to extend a curved line to a straight line without too many surprises so by first extending the curved line to a line you can then break the line at the intersection thus accomplishing the filleted lines.

However I discovered that ms2005 will crash if you try to extend a curved polyine to another line. Autocad allows you to do this.

When you try this in ms2005 it will immediately ask you if you want to save the file. However I don't believe that you get the file saved if you chose that option because you are almost instantly out of the program. Whatever option you chose you will be exited from the program. We tried this on different computers in the office and had the same result everytime.

Even if trying the above routine is not a practical option you shouldn't be booted out of the program as a result of trying it.

Artb
artb
artb

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:56 pm

Do you have a simple example that you can email me to try in both the current verion of MSCAD and the next version?

I have tried several cases here and they all seem to work for me in MSCAD 2005 and MSCAD 2008.

[email protected]

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby rwhatman » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:23 am

I have seen this problem. It doesn't do it every time, but it happens.

Ok Use a CURVEY LEADER and extend it. This will Crash almost 99% time

There is a work around.
After you draw the curvey polyline save and exit .

Now you can load drawing and extend the Curvey polyline.

That is why no one can send the problem to MicroSurvey.

It only happen on a new curvey polyline

I have just crashed the program 5 times in a row, so don't tell us you can't do it.

When we draw lines, Polylines they are not drawn completely to plan.

Only after we exist is all is really drawn.

This why the UNDO program is the worst I have ever seen.

You can lose 2 or more hours work because the program is not saving
the drawing correctly.

Have a great day
rwhatman

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:17 am

FYI - I just confirmed that the crash when extending the curvey leader, has been reported to IntelliCAD already. We do not have a fix for this as of today.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby rwhatman » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:08 am

Glen Cameron wrote:FYI - I just confirmed that the crash when extending the curvey leader, has been reported to IntelliCAD already. We do not have a fix for this as of today.

Ok leaders are drawn with a Polyline, now list the polyline you are drawing for ARCs.

It should say LWPOLYLINE and not Polyline

There is no problems with LWpolylines and they should extend ok.
rwhatman

Postby rwhatman » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:56 am

Glen Cameron wrote:FYI - I just confirmed that the crash when extending the curvey leader, has been reported to IntelliCAD already. We do not have a fix for this as of today.

I think the leader problem could have been fixed by
using LWpolyline.

Please pass this on to the programers as it turns out was over looked.

P.S. has anyone hit CANCEL button in the PRINT program yet in the 2008
program.
rwhatman

more on polyline crashes

Postby artb » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:38 am

2007/07/13

Whatman provided the answer as to why I couldn't forward a sample as when I went back into the drawing that was crashing it didn't crash because it had been saved.

Just a quick note -- I went back into the same drawing, created a new regular polyline arc and a line to extend it to --- bingo-- another crash-- so it does happen with regular polyline commands ( not only the curvey polylines referred to by the others)
artb
artb

Re: more on polyline crashes

Postby rwhatman » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:55 pm

artb wrote:2007/07/13

Whatman provided the answer as to why I couldn't forward a sample as when I went back into the drawing that was crashing it didn't crash because it had been saved.

Just a quick note -- I went back into the same drawing, created a new regular polyline arc and a line to extend it to --- bingo-- another crash-- so it does happen with regular polyline commands ( not only the curvey polylines referred to by the others)

You didn't tell us what type of Polyline you are using.
Please list the polyline to see the type.

Draw a polyline and list it, if it say polyline then change it.

I use LWpolylines and have no crash when I extend it.
rwhatman

polyline type??

Postby artb » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:06 pm

2007/07/13

I use the Pulldown menu (draw) and 2nd line down (polyline to draw the polylines to which I refer.

In my attempts to list the polyline (list) I receive information on the number of vertexes, and a few other things but I have not had any reference to a specific type of polyline that I am listing.

My question to you is " What command initiates drawing a LW polyline"?

Regardless of the type of polyline used the program shouldn't crash, lock up the computer, etc. Ideally if what you are asking to do is impossible then a message should display and ,hopefully, some clues as to what steps you need to take to be successful in your exercise. Obviously this is another scenario where an error routine is necessary to avoid the dreaded crash.

Keep in mind that all this issue initially arises out of the fact that it is almost impossible to use the fillet command when trying to connect an arc with another line ( it doesn't even have to be a polyline) so we try to do as MS phrases it " do a workaround" to accomplish our goal.
artb
artb

RWWhatman

Postby T.M. Moretz » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:44 am

RWWhatman asked
"P.S. has anyone hit CANCEL button in the PRINT program yet in the 2008
program?".
My contract states that I'm not allowed to say. :wink:
T.M. Moretz

Return to MicroSurvey CAD