polyline mshelp instructions

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

polyline mshelp instructions

Postby artb » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:46 am

2007/07/16

In trying to resolve the issue of extending a polyline I have uncovered another problem in going to your help section.

Your help for LWPOLYOUT for example instructions tell me to type integer and set (0 ) or ( 1 ) to enable or disable the command. However my help tells me to input (on) of (off) -- No other options are acceptable.

Having said that I am finding that it doesn't seem to matter which option I use the polylines I create are not altered in any way as they are created or as the file is saved and reopened.

Your help suggests that the (on) option would allow you to create lwpolylines and these are apparently supposed to be dealt with better in your program.

I also tryed other lwpoly options in the help and all of them offer only on or off as options.

I cannot find anyway to create the lwpolyines that you suggest would resolve the extending issues.
artb
artb

Postby Glen Cameron » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:10 pm

I didn't say it would make a difference for the extend command, I believe it was Richard who had found it helped him. (BTW, on/off and 0/1 are essentially the same, one is english the other computer entry for the same thing.)

I think the command that you are looking for is: PLINETYPE

Plinetype controls the use of optimized 2-D polylines in IntelliCAD. You can save disk space and memory by using the optimized format. PLINETYPE controls the use of optimized polylines for creating new polylines using the PLINE command and converting previously created polylines.

0 = IntelliCAD does not convert previously created polylines when opening the drawing file. Any new polylines created using the PLINE command are not optimized.

1 = IntelliCAD does not convert previously created polylines when opening the drawing file. Any new polylines created using the PLINE command are optimized.

2 = IntelliCAD converts previously created polylines when opening the drawing file. Any new polylines created using the PLINE command are optimized.

Type: Integer
Saved: In the registry
Range: 0 to 2
Default: 2

I still do not know if this will help solve your Extend, Fillet or Trim issues. (I doubt it personally).

(BTW, on/off and 0/1 are essentially the same, one is english the other computer entry for the same thing. Use which ever the command prompt permits.)

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby artb » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:12 am

thanx for the command name that I have been looking for Glen.

I tried extending a lwpolyline arc and it did work on the one try. I'll see if its consistant as I work with it.

one suggestion regarding the Help section.

I find it very frustrating in that there is very little x-referencing for any commands that you are looking for.

This particular one PLINETYPE I never found one suggestion anywhere in all the polyline areas that I looked at that gave me this command.

If, under polyline, for example, some of the commands that set up defaults were listed or where you could find them etc then it would make our world a whole lot easier to resolve these kinds of issues.

Thanx again
artb
artb

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:21 pm

I understand what you are saying and I agree that a more complete help file would be great. There are a few problems that exist that make it difficult to do. 1) The original help file for the CAD engine is not written by us. 2) We do not have the time to re-write their help file, only add to it with our survey related data. 3) We do not have a technical document writer on staff, which can coordinate and handle this task.

Basically, we techies are writing the help as fast as we can, to get it done, in such a way as to help as best we can. It is not perfect, but until/unless we get a lot bigger, the above issues will be our constraints!

Things like the training movies take a huge amount of time, but are very valuable to the vast majority of our customers and potential customers. Taking the time to search out and link all of the rest of the topics in the help, is an even bigger task - and besides, it helps keep me employed answering questions :)
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

changes to the help files

Postby artb » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:18 am

I appreciate your explanation as to why it is difficult to have the help screens and printed information updated.

Don't lose sight of the fact that we ,as customers, are using YOUR program and when we have issues with your program (regardless of the reason for the problem) it will be your reputation that will suffer far more than a cad engine supplier's reputation.
artb
artb

HELP ETC

Postby Richard Sands » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:33 pm

'(regardless of the reason for the problem) it will be your reputation '
Not sure I'd quite phrase it like this - I guess I could blame the world for all my troubles on that premise and take no responsibility for any of my contribution to life.
I agree that a robust and pertinant Help file is vital. Maybe we users could be more active on this Forum and dive in to help where help is called for.
my 2 bobs worth. Richard
Richard Sands

Postby DKNTEC » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:35 pm

Thanks Richard.
Your last sentence about help in the forum hits it well.
I have learned much from reading your posts.
Dan
DKNTEC

Return to MicroSurvey CAD