M-Color

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

M-Color

Postby Carole » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

I'm looking for some kind of application software that will do color rendering on Microsurvey .dwg files. M-Color will not work, which is disappointing because it looks like exactly what I need.
I emailed Microsurvey but no one replied.
Thanks in advance.
Carole

RENDER DWGS

Postby Richard Sands » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:49 am

Is M-Color a 'plug-in' or a stand alone program. It looks as though it sits inside AutoCAD.
Not sure just what you want to achieve, but programs like Canvas, Corel Draw and Adobe Illustrator come to mind. I've used all three.
Adobe Illustrator with MAPublisher is an expensive but versatile program, CanvasX with GIS is a lot cheaper but very capapable.
Both will read in dwgs. The only drawback with Canvas is it converts text to raster.
regards, Richard
Richard Sands

Corel Draw

Postby Carole » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:17 am

Richard, I am always impressed to read your posts from Tasmania!

I have used Corel Draw in the past but the version I have is now too old for Windows XP. I also don't want to invest a lot. M-Color did appear to work on top of AutoCad but the commands seemed to be alot like Corel Draw. Maybe I should just look into Corel Draw. I had a idea it was no longer around--didn't they get bought out by WordPerfect or someone?
If CanvasX converts the text to raster, can you still edit text?
Thanks again.
Carole

M-Color

Postby Richard Sands » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:01 pm

Thanks Carole.

No, you cant edit the text once bought into Canvas which is a huge minus.
Corel draw does a reasonable job with import (it recognises %%d input and converts to degree sign).
But I prefer Canvas or AI with MAPublisher as they are true geographic GIS) importers.
I'd give CD a go. Not sure about their past history. You will need to save back to an earlier version of dwg (or dxf) as CD isn't up to speed with latest versions of dwg (I use R12 to import) . This probably should matter as I have never lost anything on export and import into other programs.
I have CD 12, not latest and you could no doubt pick up a cheap version somewhere - not sure latest Corel Draw brings any real benefits for this sort of work.
regards, Richard
Richard Sands

Corel Draw

Postby Carole » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:52 am

I downloaded a 15-day trial from the Corel Draw website and used it successfully. I think the cost is around $360, which is not bad.
It was pretty easy to catch on to. I tried Canvas X and I couldn't even draw a line where I wanted it. (Could certainly have been a user-problem-I found the commands difficult)
So what I'm getting around to saying is I think we'll go with Corel Draw.
Thanks a lot for your advice.
Carole

Postby Alex Leonard » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:47 pm

Carole and Richard,
I'm intrigued. What is it that you do to the MS-CAD files in CD?
Color rendering of 3-D surfaces?

Alex Leonard
Alex Leonard

MS-CAD files in CD

Postby Richard Sands » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:02 pm

Alex I dont use the render much at all. My main use of graphics packages is to enhance the DWG for presentation work. Mainly for development applications to local Councils - subdivsion proposals etc.
I like the way graphics allow linework to be customised and the brushes are great to depict scrub/ bush/ vegetation etc. Hatches and fills are far more flexible. Text editing is easier, spellchecked etc.
Images are easier to add and manipulate.
I work mainly in a GIS environment so all fits together and scales can be maintained.
I also do a lot of environmental plan work and it really comes into its own there.
Clour rendering and shading is something I want to do, but need time to get into that side.
I have Corel Draw but also AICS with MAPublisher on my PC and CanvasX with GIS on both laptop and PC. MAPublisher is far more capable (IMO) than Canvas but the cost of 2 licences is exhorbitant. - Canvas is $50 for extra licence.
regards
Richard
Richard Sands

Postby Alex Leonard » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:02 am

Richard,
thanks for the reply.
I've been a Corel user far longer than I've been a CAD user, but it has never occured to me to pull CAD files into CD - only the other way around.

And I suppose it is easier to bring the CAD file into CD so as to add elements than the other way around - which I have done, but I find the embedding features of MSCAD somewaht frustrating to implement...

Thanks for the tip!

Alex
Alex Leonard

Return to MicroSurvey CAD