"save as" problem" ??

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

"save as" problem" ??

Postby artb » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:18 pm

In using the "save as" feature to save an existing file to a new name I have discovered that there are two files that are not saved from the original file to the new name. Its possible that there is a reason for doing so but I believe that the absence of these two files causes a loss of some information in the newly named file.

The two files are --.log
--.mbk

If there are no reasons to remove these files from the new file then I believe that the "save as" feature should include those files." In this way the 2 files are identical in all respects at the time of the saving the 2nd file.
artb
artb

SAVE AS

Postby Richard Sands » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:16 pm

When you do your 'Save as', do you then close it immediately? I have found that a couple of saves after the Save as creates the relevant files.
Not sure about the Log file - that may need starting afresh, but that seems odd if its the case.
regards, Richard
Richard Sands

Postby Brian Sloman » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:42 am

The .bak and .mbk files are backup copies of your .dwg and .msd files, from the previous save. When you do a Save As, the .dwg and .msd with the new filename are not backed up until you do another save/qsave. As Richard said, they will appear at that point.

As for the .log file being copied when you do a Save As, I will add this onto our feature request list. While a .log file with the new filename will eventually be created, it will not contain the information from the old log file from before doing the Save As.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

log file request to be included

Postby artb » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:35 pm

2007/07/30

Glad to see that you are adding this issue to your request list.

However as a user I would like to see a stronger word than "request " to describe the action your programmers may take. It may well be that your reference to request means that it will be done but it also could mean that someone might look at it and maybe it might be done.
artb
artb

Return to MicroSurvey CAD