Dual Screens

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Dual Screens

Postby Richard Sands » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:28 pm

is there a way to drag drawing windows off to the other screen as we can with toolbars etc. I run dual screens as individual screens and dont want MSCAD draped across both screens which I expect would fix my problem.
seems odd that we can view reports/ toolbars/ tips of day etc wherever we chose but not teh actual drawing.
regards
Richard
Richard Sands

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:37 am

The drawing window will only open within the program boundaries. Other items such as toolbars are actually floating above the program and can be moved anywhere including outside the boundary.

You could, as you mentioned, increase the program boundary by stretching the program to cover the second screen (or a portion of it). you could also start a second copy of the program and have one in the first screen and the other in the second screen, with the appropriate drawing open in each case.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

DUAL SCREENS

Postby Richard Sands » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:32 pm

Glen the option to stretch across the 2 monitors produces weird results when using paper space and also print previews. Myabe a bit more setup care (by me) may fix that, but I would prefer to have floating windows that can be placed anywhere.
Two instances of MSCAD are good but still not same as having another window tucked away on another screen.
When working with multiple programs on large dual screens one may as well make most of the advantage of such a setup.
I imagine they will become more the norm in Cad/ garphics environments in the future so could I suggest Microsurvey look at giving us the floatin window option.
regards, Richard
Richard Sands

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:17 am

It is up to IntelliCAD how this will be handled. We license the CAD engine from them. They are aware of all options out there and will strive to allow as many options as they can, as soon as they can.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby azstew » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:38 am

I run quad mons... I use span desktop across all 4.
2 x 17" 1280/1024 portrait, 2 x 20.1" 1600/1200, 2 x FX 1400 Quadros, non-SLI (5248 x 1200)

Then I span MSCAD across one of the 20.1s and part or all of the other 20.1, depending on what I need.

When previewing/printing, just maximize MSCAD, It will go to 1 monitor, and insure consistent results; or at least it does for me.

Not quite what you want, but give it a try.

If all else fails.... more monitors! ;-)
azstew

Return to MicroSurvey CAD