Any hope for inCAD 2008?

Discussion of MicroSurvey inCAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Any hope for inCAD 2008?

Postby robert_s » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:26 am

are you working on it?
robert_s

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:30 am

With the many programs we support and the priority of each being weighed on a regular basis, at present time, inCAD 2008 is not being worked on. I do not know when InCAD2008 will be worked on, being a time frame has not been defined as yet. We will continue to re-evaluate all of our products and decide what to do to them and when, as time marches on!
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby tmyrfield » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:06 am

Well, it sort of sticks those of us using MicroSurvey InCAD in a bit of an awkward place..... one has got to eventually upgrade one's Autocad to a current version (in order to work with other companies and our clients) and then WHAM, microsurvey InCAD is rendered utterly useless. A shame, because MicroSurvey InCAD is a wonderful program...I have been pretty happy with it (other than it's least squares routines).
Teresa
tmyrfield

Postby fish » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:36 am

tmyrfield wrote:Well, it sort of sticks those of us using MicroSurvey InCAD in a bit of an awkward place..... one has got to eventually upgrade one's Autocad to a current version (in order to work with other companies and our clients) and then WHAM, microsurvey InCAD is rendered utterly useless. A shame, because MicroSurvey InCAD is a wonderful program...I have been pretty happy with it (other than it's least squares routines).
Teresa

Yep, I agree. I've got AutoCAD 2007 and 2008 sitting in a box on my desk, yet to be installed, but I can't until InCAD is compatible. :(
fish

Postby phaas » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:06 pm

I'll put in another vote for InCAD 2008. It would be really great to get up to date on the AutoCAD side of things, but we still need to use inCAD so we are also stuck.

Please create InCAD for 2008

Thanks
phaas

Postby B. K. Lemons » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:03 pm

Over on the MSCAD forum staff are saying, "Don't worry. You can depend on us. We will always take care of you."

Being skeptical about that, I was thinking about switching from MSCAD to AutoCAD and maybe adding InCAD.

With what I'm reading here, that doesn't look like a very good idea.
B. K. Lemons

Postby fish » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:05 am

Is there any more response to this? Judging by what I was reading over in the Microsurvey Cad forum, Incad might never be upgraded. Is this true? If so, I'd like to know now so I can get on with keeping up to date with my AutoCAD software.
fish

Postby Darcy Detlor » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:48 pm

We have other projects on our plate right now, so we cannot give any date for a future inCAD release.

An offer was made to all inCAD customers to cross grade their inCAD seats to MicroSurvey CAD 2008. For example if you had inCAD 2006 Premium you can upgrade to MicroSurvey CAD 2008 for same price as if you owned MicroSurvey CAD 2005 Premium. Since MicroSurvey CAD 2008 can read and write AutoCAD 2008 drawings, the programs can be used side by side with no data loss. All custom objects or proxy entities are round tripped by MicroSurvey CAD.

Our goal is produce such a fantastic MicroSurvey CAD that the Surveying community will realize that they have no need for any AutoCAD seats.
Darcy Detlor,
President,
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
[email protected]
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Postby phaas » Thu May 08, 2008 1:07 pm

I'd just like to put my vote in for inCAD 08 again. We use inCAD 06 everyday all day in our office, but have not been able to move to AutoCAD 2008. With everyone else we deal with within our company and all contractors moving forward to AutoCAD 2008, we are going to have to abondon Microsurvey products and try to find a new solution.

Please consider bringing out inCAD that will work with AutoCAD 2008, I'm sure almost every current inCAD customer you have right now would upgrade right away.
phaas

Postby ianw2 » Fri May 09, 2008 6:04 am

phaas:

Just out of curiosity, what is it the ACAD can do for you that MicroSurvey can't?

Are you afraid of an incompatibility issue with your clients?
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson Land Surveying, Inc.
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044
ianw2

Postby robert_s » Thu May 15, 2008 5:38 pm

ianw2 wrote:Just out of curiosity, what is it the ACAD can do for you that MicroSurvey can't?

ACAD can be extended with C++. InCAD is an example of ACAD C++ extension. There is a lot of extensions for ACAD on the market or you can develop your own. With MicroSurvey you can only use LISP which is somewhat limited.

ACAD has many tools MicroSurvey doesn’t and will never have. MS people decide what ACAD tools are useful for surveyors and emulate them in MicroSurvey. I would rather make this decision for myself.

All companies I worked for did drafting with ACAD and used MicroSurvey only for calculations. It would be rather difficult to convince people to use exclusively MicroSurvey because most drafters already know ACAD and don’t want to switch to MicroSurvey. There is sort of division of labor: drafters with AutoCAD and calculators with MS. Ironically InCAD users are more sophisticated people who want and need both ACAD and MS.

From what I understand InCAD is dead. Upgrading it is neither difficult nor costly. One programmer could handle it in few months. If it didn’t happen it means there are business considerations and MS doesn’t want to continue with InCAD.
robert_s

Postby John Lunn » Sat May 24, 2008 10:28 am

I've been finding that the intellicad CAD engine doesn't support all entities from AutoCAD and often causes crashes.

The majority of issues that I have with the program are intellicad related, the xref capabilities are very sluggish, I have been having various issues with the image manager when trying to add normal photos or plotting orthophotos, its very sluggish when opening large files and attempting to modify anything, and the list continues to go on as we do more projects.

I would also like to see inCAD developed further, its a great alternative to Land Development/Civil 3D, and it gives the full functionality of using AutoCAD.
John Lunn

Postby Darcy Detlor » Sat May 24, 2008 10:30 pm

Hello,

MicroSurvey is currently modifying the source code that we build both MicroSurvey CAD and InCAD so it can be translated into other languages.

Once this is complete we are going to make the changes necessary to build a version that can be compiled in the completely re-engineered IntelliCAD 7.0. These changes will make it possible for us to create a new version of InCAD to work in AutoCAD 2007, 2008, & 2009.

Later this year we will ask our InCAD customers if they will purchase an upgrade. Many have taken us up on the option to cross grade to MicroSurvey CAD.

We have great confidence in the IntelliCAD Technology Consortium. The design and testing team at the ITC continues to improve the quality of the program. My hopes are that surveyors and civil engineers will not need to purchase or use AutoCAD to produce their drawings.
Darcy Detlor,
President,
[email protected]
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Postby fish » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:53 am

In case anybody is wondering I am still really hoping InCAD gets updated.

I've tried drafting an entire plan in Microsurvey 2008 and yes it can be done, but I can still do it a lot quicker with AutoCAD.
fish

Postby Darcy Detlor » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:00 am

Earlier this year I advised that we were making all the necessary changes to our software so it could be translated into other languages. This project was completed a few months ago.

We are now making the changes so our programs will run inside IntelliCAD 7.0, which are the same changes we need to make so it will run in the latest versions of AutoCAD. We are more than 1/2 finished. Since IntelliCAD 7.0 is not scheduled for release until the 2nd half of 2009, we will have a new version of inCAD before we produce MicroSurvey CAD 2010.

MicroSurvey CAD 2009 is under construction and should ship next. It has the ability to be translated and we are currently seeking distribution channels all over the world.
Darcy Detlor,
President,
[email protected]
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Postby fish » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:31 am

Thanks Darcy, sounds like good news.

The way I read your May 25 post, it sounded like you still weren't sure about the upgrade, so I just wanted to be sure you knew I was still interested.
fish

Postby phaas » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:56 am

I'll just add my vote that we are still interested in an updated version of InCAD as well. Thanks for your hard work, and hope to see something soon.
phaas

Postby phaas » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:34 am

Still waiting patiently. At this point I guess I am waiting for inCAD 2010, which would hopefully be compatible with AutoCAD 2008. I'm sure there are others out there that want this software too. It is the best of both worlds, with the drafting power of AutoCAD and the cogo/survey calcs power of Microsurvey.

Please add your vote in if you are waiting for a new version of inCAD as well, maybe I am alone!!
phaas

Postby fish » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:09 am

phaas wrote:Still waiting patiently. At this point I guess I am waiting for inCAD 2010, which would hopefully be compatible with AutoCAD 2008. I'm sure there are others out there that want this software too. It is the best of both worlds, with the drafting power of AutoCAD and the cogo/survey calcs power of Microsurvey.

Please add your vote in if you are waiting for a new version of inCAD as well, maybe I am alone!!

I'm still waiting. I tried Microsurvey 2008 (we have it as well), but I much, much prefer AutoCAD with Incad.
fish

Postby fish » Thu May 28, 2009 8:15 am

Darcy Detlor wrote:Earlier this year I advised that we were making all the necessary changes to our software so it could be translated into other languages. This project was completed a few months ago.

We are now making the changes so our programs will run inside IntelliCAD 7.0, which are the same changes we need to make so it will run in the latest versions of AutoCAD. We are more than 1/2 finished. Since IntelliCAD 7.0 is not scheduled for release until the 2nd half of 2009, we will have a new version of inCAD before we produce MicroSurvey CAD 2010.

MicroSurvey CAD 2009 is under construction and should ship next. It has the ability to be translated and we are currently seeking distribution channels all over the world.

It sounds like you're beta testing MSCad 2010 now. Does that mean any hope for Incad is gone?
fish

Postby phaas » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:02 am

Still waiting patiently. It would still be awesome to have a version of inCAD that works with a newer version of AutoCAD. From the previous postings it sounded like this was imminent but now with the release of MicroSurvey 2010 and no mention of inCAD what can we expect?
phaas

Bump - InCAD 2010 Ready for Beta

Postby Jason Poitras » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:32 pm

Just a notification that a new version of inCAD is around the corner.

More information here.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Return to MicroSurvey inCAD