MSCAD 2008 COMMENTS?

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

MSCAD 2008 COMMENTS?

Postby Richard Sands » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:18 pm

Just wondering how users have found 2008. Thought this forum ought to be buzzing with stuff, seems a bit quiet.
I have found it seems to load quicker and work better, and images are easier to place etc. Its nice to be uptodate with AutoCAD versions thanks.
I do have some reservations about old jobs from p'haps FelixCAD days that were converted to dwgs and worked on in 2008 not behaving very well.
I'm still on XP pro so cant comment on Vista operations.
Still in trainer mode waiting new USB key but I'm happy to upgrade.
regards, Richard
Richard Sands

Postby hwchaffee » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:12 am

Still waiting for Mscad 2008.
hwchaffee

Postby Glen A. Quarmby » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:49 am

The new 'wipeout' command is quite interesting.
I wonder if we will be getting new post blocks which use this feature and therefor not have to trim lines anymore?
Glen A. Quarmby

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:55 am

That is in the works right now! :)
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Matthew Fore » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:56 am

Sweet. Currently just use an odd color such as 255 and hatch inside object. Then set to not print said color.
Matthew Fore

trimming lines

Postby artb » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:08 pm

For what its worth at our office we eliminated the need to trim lines where survey posts have been inserted.

We utilized the color 255 (non printing) to modify the survey blocks of MS that had a transparent area in the block. We replaced the MS blocks with ours and now our blocks are inserted instead of the MS blocks. The non printing color hides the lines behind the block.

The only step you need to take is to set the inserted blocks in front with the "DRAW ORDER" option in order to guarantee that all lines that you want hidden are behind the blocks.
artb
artb

Postby Glen Cameron » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:33 am

That is what the wipeout command is all about - and a bit easier to use. It not only works with printing but visually on screen as well.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

hiding lines

Postby artb » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:40 pm

I should have stated that our solution works for older versions of 2001,2002, mscad2005. The earlier versions didn't have the draw order command but you could still make the process work by inserting the monuments after all the other lines were in the drawing.

2005 doesn't have the wipeout command so I have no idea of how it works.

It the command has to be activated for every post individually then it would not be preferred over the
system we use now.

These comments possibly should have been made on the general level so that others using the older versions would be aware of ways to eliminate having to trim the lines
artb
artb

Postby Glen Cameron » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:10 pm

This thread was started by asking specifically for comments on MicroSurvey CAD 2008, so I assumed this conversation would be only on this topic.

Anyway - Wipeouts are a command that is drawn, as desired, or placed via blocks, as desired, and they are all on all of the time. The frame for the wipeout can be turned on or off as desired, for selection purposes. Draw Order is set for each one individually, as required.

Wipeouts are new to MicroSurvey CAD 2008.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Postby JAMES WORTON » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:24 am

Right now I wish we had kept running 2005 but as we purchased new computers we are persevering with 2008 on the 2 new machines. Glitches we have noted so far are

-2008 seems to take longer to open files and various commands within the program seem to stall

-COPY BETWEEN DRAWINGS we find more cumbersome as you now must have the drawings you want to copy between tiled on the screen as opposed to 2005 where you could reselect under the WINDOW pull-down menu

-raster images are dealt with in a different manner. For us the old way was better as it allowed manipulation on screen by scaling, rotating, shifting. It seems to be geared toward images that have position files associated. If I had an airphoto of unknown orientation and scale it was previously easy to attach (approsimately only of course) but now not so much

-cancelling in the middle of the print command sometimes initiates a crash. This problem was fixed in 2005 so I assume that will be coming soon

-the default paths (for blocks, templates, x-refs, etc) will revert to the default settings occasionally

I guess some of these should be posted under "Report a bug"

Oh, one more thing. The radial bearing option under curve annotation does not work. Of course it did not work in 2005 either.
JAMES WORTON

Postby scotttik » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:47 am

Glen;

In MSCad 2005 I was able to double click on a line and have it show bearing, distance, coordinates values and which points the line is connected to. I have not been able to get that to happen in v2008.

Help!

Scott Tikalsky
scotttik

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:35 am

Make sure your GRIPS are off when you do this. 2005 had the same issue but may have defaults off.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD