USB Key problem

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

USB Key problem

Postby DKNTEC » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:43 pm

Hi.
How do I bring up the MS licencing Options dialog once after the program has been started in Demo mode?
I took my computer in yesterday for repair with the MSCAD 2008 USB key in the USB port. The tech unplugged the key while doing some system testing, unrelated to MSCAD.
When I picked up the computer late in the day I did not notice the key was not in the port.
Early this morning, I started MSCAD, the MS Licencing Options dialog came up, & I realized the USB key was missing.
I hit Trial mode which said expired, & dwg would not save or print.
I simply HAD to do some dwg work to finish lines, points & dimensions for a survey today, so did the work that & copied the info. from screen by hand notes to take along for the field work.
I left the computer on with the unsaved drawing left open.
Tonight I have my USB key back, plugged it in & Windows recognized the "new hardware" ok.
However MSCAD doesn't know the USB key is back in place.
I thought if I just plugged the USB key back in I could then save the drawing work, but not that simple, eh?
I thought if I could bring the Licensing Options dialog back up again & hit "Try Local USB Key Again", it might work. But I can't find how to bring this up once the program is running in demo mode.
Can I do this, or am I "hooped" & can't save the work??
Thx
DKNTEC

USB Key

Postby John Gallagher » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:54 am

Go to Start-->All Programs-->Microsurvey--MSCAD 2008.You'll find the license manager there.
Hope this helped.
John Gallagher
John Gallagher

USB Key problem

Postby DKNTEC » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:23 pm

Hi John,
Thank you for your post.
However, Licence Manager brings up only Licence Key Maintenance, which doesn't help though - I already have the key activated.
With the program running, go to HELP/Licence Options & click on MiroSurvey Licencing Options underlined in green near the top, which brings up an example of that dialog box.
This is what I'm looking for with the program already running, to be able to click on "Try local USB Key Again" to convert the demo version to full working version to be able to save the open dwg I have.

I'm coming to the conclusion that once the program is started in demo mode, you can't convert it to full working version without shutting down, which of course will lose my unsaved modified dwg.

An interesting side note here is that when this situation all began - that I didn't have my USB key left behind at the computer shop, I had expected I could at least run my MSCAD 2008 in Trial Mode for one of the 30 days until I could recover my USB key when the shop opened.
When I purhased 2008, I had activated the key right away, and didn't use the 30 day Trial Mode at all.
You CAN save & print in Trial Mode for 30 days, after which it turns into a "Demo" only version that you CANNOT save or print in.

However it says my "Trial Mode is expired" although I never used it.

Alas, it seems once you activate the program with the key, the unused Trial Mode is no longer available to us.

Yes, it was my goof that I forgot the key.
Perhaps MicroSurvey could consider a situation like I was in with a temporarily misplaced USB key - that we are not totally frozen out of the program.
It reinforced how dependent we have become on the programs.
I'm thankful that although rusty, in a pinch I could still survey in the "old ways" with pencil & paper on the hood of the truck.

Maybe the unused 30 day Trial mode could be made available to get us through a tight spot.
I didn't try, but I assume it would not let me save a FG project to upload to my Tracker either.
I'm thankful I hadn't travelled hundreds of miles to a jobsite with a laptop for mission critical work only to discover I'd left the key behind.

I think I have to bite the bullet & close this Demo version, lose my drawing & start again with the USB key in place.

Another wrinkle to the USB Key controversy, eh?
Dan Nicholson
DKNTEC

Postby Darcy Detlor » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:15 am

The problem with your scenario is if you have multiple users sharing one key:

"Hey Joe, toss me the USB key so I can save my work."

He plugs it back in, and saves his work. He then passes it to the next guy to save his work.

Multiple people can be running the software at the same time while purchasing one copy of the program. Obviously we cannot accept that.

The 30 day trial clock starts ticking when you first start the program whether you have a key plugged in or not.
Darcy Detlor,
President,
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
[email protected]
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Postby rwhatman » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:02 am

Darcy Detlor wrote:The problem with your scenario is if you have multiple users sharing one key:

"Hey Joe, toss me the USB key so I can save my work."

He plugs it back in, and saves his work. He then passes it to the next guy to save his work.

Multiple people can be running the software at the same time while purchasing one copy of the program. Obviously we cannot accept that.

The 30 day trial clock starts ticking when you first start the program whether you have a key plugged in or not.

Hi Darcy
I have a idea that would make you happy and others too.

Have the key linked to Active database.

The program would not save any points to database.
When Joe toss key to Richard , Joe can nolonger work and
when the key is toss back, Richard can nolonger work.

The way you have it now thoes that are on a Network of computers.
Might just try toss the key idea.

It also stops someone from trying to use the program and write down
the answers. No Key no work.

If you can't do that then don't let the program open with no Key.

Now with that in place you can trust that thoes that pay can now use
MsCAD2008.
rwhatman

Postby rwhatman » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:13 am

My last word Trust.

Trust your users to do the right thing.
rwhatman

Postby rwhatman » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:19 pm

Sorry got more ideas

Insurance

Small charge each month for lost or stolen Keys.

Hey you could have worked that into the price of program.

Users will have to learn that they are not buying a program, but
are buying a KEY to run one.

No Car lot will sell a Key and say use any CAR in the lot and that
is what MicroSurvey has done.

Use the Key any where Great.
rwhatman

Postby Darcy Detlor » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:16 am

Hi Richard,

If you unplug the key, the only command that will work is Save. You can't share a key in one office.
Darcy Detlor,
President,
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
[email protected]
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Return to MicroSurvey CAD