Correcting COGO entries in 2005.

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Postby B. K. Lemons » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:36 pm

While entering and plotting a metes and bounds description using COGO, or after doing so, is there a way to correct an entry of bearing and/or distance that was made for a point and have the coordinates automatically adjusted for the entries made for the points following that point?

For example, say that I have the following description:

1) Begin at point 1 (coordinates 0,0);

2) Then North 100 feet to point 2 (coordinates 0,100);

3) Then East 200 feet to point 3 (coordinates 200,100);

4) Then South 100 feet to point 4 (coordinates 200,0);

5) Then West 200 feet to beginning point 1(coordinates 0,0).

Let say that after I’ve made all the entries, I discover that for entry 3 I accidentally entered East 150 feet instead of East 200 feet. Because of my false entry, the coordinates for point 3 were thrown off and became 150,100 rather than 200,100, the coordinates for point 4 became 150,0 rather than 200,0, and the coordinates for the end of the last call became -50,0, rather than 0,0.

Is there a way to correct entry 3 to produce the correct coordinates 200,100 for point three and automatically correct the coordinates for the two calls following that call?

I know this must be really simple. But I'm still new at the software and haven't been able to find a lead on this so far.

Thanks,
Billy
B. K. Lemons

BATCH COGO

Postby Richard Sands » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:01 pm

I always (usually) enter COGO via teh BAtch COGO option. Thatw ay all can be reused, edited etc and its a very powerful option.
I'm not sure that you are using that?? If not then I don't believe it can be changed - your input ie.
For editing the BAtch Cogo I use notepad. I find it far easier and quicker and I also build the fiels from notepad.
regards
Richard
Richard Sands

Postby B. K. Lemons » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:18 pm

Thanks, Richard. I will look into this. I've wondered about Batch COGO, i.e., what it is, but I haven't had time to look into it. I think I'll do that before starting the map for this job I was about to start.

If anyone else has any comments, I'd appreciate those, too.

Billy
B. K. Lemons

COGO

Postby Richard Sands » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:19 pm

yes, I'd certainly look at using Batch Cogo. Just remember to turn it on when you start a new file. Actually I'd prefer the default to be 'ON' instead current 'OFF' when one choses or creates a new file. Its very easy to edit out unwanted entries, but if its not logged in the file there's no way to retrieve the data.
Just watch if you delete points while BC is running that command also gets logged and if you rerun the file and the points have been created again then they also get deleted again. Just delete that part of Batch Cogo and save.
Back to your query there's a simple way to effect a change to your points.
I'd use COGO to create a new point east 200 from (2). Then use Shift Points and chose the incorrect point and the correct point to calculate the desired shift and the required point numbers to shift. This will do what you want. Just delete the duplicate when finished. I'd do a Backup before you start in event of a disaster.
regards, Richard
Richard Sands

Postby B. K. Lemons » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:56 am

Thanks, Richard. I've already started using Batch Cogo and will continue with that. But I'm sure I'll have occasion to use Shift Points, too.
B. K. Lemons

Return to MicroSurvey CAD