Template MS Annotate Labeling Defaults 2005

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Template MS Annotate Labeling Defaults 2005

Postby B. K. Lemons » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:32 pm

I'm trying to create a template so that when I create a new drawing using the template, the Leroy Labeling Defaults for bearings, distances, etc., under MS Annotate will automatically be 15.

I've tried opening a new drawing, changing the defaults to 15, and then saving the drawing as an MSCAD template.

I've also tried opening a new drawing, changing the defaults to 15, then saving the drawing as a regular MSCAD drawing, then after that saving the drawing as an MSCAD template.

However, no matter how I approach it, whenever I use the new template to create a new drawing, the defaults are still Leroy 60 instead of 15.

How can I create a template that will automatically contain Labeling Defaults for bearings, distances, etc., that are Leroy 15?
B. K. Lemons

TEMPLATES

Postby Richard Sands » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:42 pm

I stand correcting, but the only way I have been able to create a 'Template' that holds all the settings for text, labelling etc is to create a drawing and save it as a Drawing, not as a Template. Then open that Drawing as my 'Template Drawing' which isn't really the preferred way when we have the use Template option for cretaing new jobs.
I then instantly save that previously created 'Template Drawing' and rename etc in process.
regards Richard
Richard Sands

Postby B. K. Lemons » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:13 pm

Richard, thanks. I've been thinking the same thing, and that makes sense to me. Unless and until I hear of a better way, that's probably the way I'm going to approach it, at least for now.

I've been reading instructions in the Help files. There may be a way to change one or more of the five default styles that comes up in the "Style Index" under MS Annotate > Labeling Defaults > Style Index drop-down box > Style #1 ... Style #5.

The Help file says:

"These settings are saved in a file names incad.cfg and is stored in your projects database. You can save these settings to a config file so you can use it in other projects." (sic)

It also says that the procedure involves the save_config command, as:

"Allows you to save your current configuration of Defaults out to a file so that you can use it again later without taking all the time to redo the whole procedure. You may have many different configurations saved for many types of jobs or customers."

Not sure how to call up the new configuration after it's saved.

Not sure, either, if that is in any way related to the defaults for the five different "Styles."

I might try this, but I'm afraid I'll mess something up in the process.

Any other ideas out there would be appreciated.

Billy
B. K. Lemons

Richard, here it is.

Postby B. K. Lemons » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:29 pm

Get your template the way you want it, complete with the MS Annotate > Labeling Defaults you want.

Then select menu MSTools > MicroSurvey System Defaults > Save Configuration File. Give the configuration a special name, such as RICH, and save it.

To make that configuration your default configuration so that those Labeling Defaults are used every time you create a new drawing, select menu MSTools > MicroSurvey System Defaults > Save As Default Configuration.

You can create other configurations, too, and call them up when you want them.

Billy
B. K. Lemons

CONFIGS

Postby Richard Sands » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:59 pm

You got me going on this. I saved my altered settings and named as you did. I also chanegd the Area defaults, layer names, colours etc.
Must explore more - probably can change other things and make them permament.
I then made copy of original cfg, and changed my config file to 'incad.cfg'.
Started 2008 and a new job and all seems OK. See how we go.
regards Richard
Richard Sands

Postby B. K. Lemons » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:12 pm

I wondered if one could revise the "incad.cfg" that way.

This approach -- changing defaults in such a way that an actual template can be used instead of a non-template drawing used for a template -- should work better. If I use a non-template drawing as a template, I tend to forget to use a copy of it rather than the original, and that messes me up.

Billy
B. K. Lemons

Postby Jason Poitras » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:16 pm

Hi Guys,

To clarify a couple of things you need to consider that some settings are saved in the drawing, and some settings are saved in the incad.cfg file.

Drawing Specific Settings

Cad specific settings that you might want to put in a drawing template such as layers, text styles (not labeling defaults), viewres and other command line variable variables are all saved internally in the dwg.

A quick way to "import" these into new drawings is to create a template drawing by saving one of your drawings with an extension of .dwt. Once you set this as the template, every new drawing you start will load the drawing settings you've defined.

Normally you will overwrite the existing icad.dwt template file with your own version.

MicroSurvey Settings

MicroSurvey related settings such as labeling defaults, or general configuration settings are saved in a file called incad.cfg. When you make a new drawing we copy this file into the projects .msj directory and it becomes part of that project. That is why you can make changes to the label defaults in one project without affecting your other projects.

You can update the default incad.cfg at any time by going to MsTools | MicroSurvey System Defaults | Save as Default Configuration. This will take the current settings and save them permanently to the default incad.cfg file. Then any new drawing you create will use these new settings.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby B. K. Lemons » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:29 am

Thanks for the info.

By the way, Jason, any plans to add MrSid import and/or any elementary GIS capabilities to the software any time soon? That would be a big boost for use of the software. Looks like other packages are coming on stronger all the time with their all-in-one GIS-surveying-CAD software (actually more like GIS with add-ins for surveying and CAD, or visa versa).
B. K. Lemons

elementary GIS capabilities

Postby Richard Sands » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:59 am

Have you checked the movies?
http://www.microsurvey.com/products/fie ... ibutes.htm
This might do what you are after. You need Field Genius to work with.
regards, Richaard
Richard Sands

Postby Jason Poitras » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:28 am

Hello,

In 2008 we added minor support for Feature Attribute data collected with FieldGenius or TDS software. We know more and more surveyors are collecting GIS type data and this was one of the big reasons why we spent so much time on the new database structure, alphanumerics and LandXML support. All this work will help us add more features in the future.

Regarding Mr. SID files, we are looking into it but have not found a good solution or fit yet.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

ATTRIBUTES

Postby Richard Sands » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:16 pm

I would like to add attributes to lines - don't think its currently available?
That would really be enhance FG + 2008.
This could also include annotation of the attributes in the labelling routine.
I think you would have a winner then.
regards, Richard
Richard Sands

Return to MicroSurvey CAD