short cut keys for mscad 2005

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

kevinnem

short cut keys for mscad 2005

Post by kevinnem » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:43 am

Hello all , hopefully a quick question here.

you can asign alias to cad comands, for example:
c = copy (or some set this to circle)
l = line

I would like to assign one of them to "cogo" but as this is not a CAD comand it is not avalible in the menu.

You can use "atl -key" for them , but that is kinda a pain in the butt, considering how much I (and I think most) people use "cogo".

Is there a way to so that I can use , for example, "X" as a shortcut key to active "cogo"

Kevin Nemrava.

Richard Sands

shortcut

Post by Richard Sands » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:56 am

Mscad commands need a * before the Mscad command
C,*COGO
will give you what you need.
I have a simple text file that I have all my shortcuts saved as a .PGP extension, and just append them to the others. (Under 'Customise' when right click on any open pallete. I think you probably know that bit.
You have to be careful to delete any default ones that will clash with newly created ones.
regards, Richard

kevinnem

Post by kevinnem » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:17 am

Thanks for the info.

I did find a PGP file in the system, it was under a "support" folder. I opened it up(note pad), and it has the type of command you mentioned would be in there. However it appeared this was a "demo" file.

I still can't get this to work. How is it that you link the "pgp" file to do the stuff that is in side of it.

Can you guys still help me figure out my original problem?

The goal here is to be able to type "cc" then enter or spacebar, and have that do the same thing as "cogo"

Richard Sands

SHORTCUT KEYS

Post by Richard Sands » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:27 pm

That file can be edited and used or create a new text file with a '.pgp' extension and type in the command shortcuts one line to each command - some of mine pasted below.
I'm in 2008 and think its the same in 2005 - Under CADTOOLS/ CUSTOMISE/ Aliases - chose 'Import' and tick 'Append' else I think it wipes the others and overwrites. (Or Right-click a palette and chose 'CUSTOMISE' from there.
Look for the .pgp file where you have created the shortcuts and import that file.
yell out if you still cant get it to work.
regards
Richard
AA,*_auto_add_database
AI,*ascii_in
AO,*ascii_OUT
AR,*AREA
BC,*MS_BATCH
CE,*CELEV
CI,*cont_interval
CL,*MS_CURVEY_LEADER
CO,*COGO
CP,*CONNECT_POINTS
CTB,*_coordinate_table
DL,*DOWNLOAD

ianw2

Post by ianw2 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:10 pm

From inside the program, go to the CAD TOOLS pull down menu (7th from the left). Next to the bottom is the CUSTOMIZE branch. Click on it to bring up a very useful dialogue box.

On the tabs across the top, you’ll find KEYBOARD as the send from the right. I like this one because I can leave all the “standard” shortcuts alone. By using the ALT key and another nearby letter I can efficiently invoke commands I use often.

In this case, I use ALT +”C” to invoke COGO.

To set it up, click on the NEW button. This will clear the input windows at the bottom of the box and prepare them for text entry. With the cursor flashing in the “Press new shortcut key:” window, press the ALT key and the C key together. You’ll see “ALT + C” pop up in the window.

Now, click on the bottom text entry box, the one labeled “Command”. Type _ (under bar) and the command. In this case, _cogo.

Finally, click the CLOSE button at the very bottom of the box.

The program may take a few seconds to re-write the PGP file.

Once the box closes, every time you hit the ALT and C keys together, MSCAD will fire up the COGO module for you, no matter which drawing you are in.

I like to use ALT + C for COPY, ALT + S for straight leader, ALT + C for curved leader, ALT + Q for copy parallel, etc.

Customizing your keystrokes is one of the great things about using MSCAD. Just be sure you understand that when you move to someone else’s machine, your key strokes aren’t there!

Cheers…and have a great weekend…

Ian
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson Land Surveying, Inc.
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044

kevinnem

Post by kevinnem » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:44 am

Thanks for you help everyone, I have it figured out now.

These are very useful, and I hope this post will help other as well.

Once again, I thank you for your time and efforts.

Kevin Nemrava.