traverse entry problems

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

traverse entry problems

Postby artb » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:40 am

2007/12/02

I downloaded the 30day trail version of 2008 at home so that I could try out the program for evaluation purposes.

I believe that I found a "bug" in the traverse entry routine (unless you can provide an answer to my problem)

to enter the command line entry of traverse input :

mstraverse/traverse entry/editing/manual enter traverse/ existing file/no/no/no.

At this point you are able to enter the setup pt, the backsite point and the ensuing information as needed.

This option allows all entries to be input from the command line (we like this option because it allows for the input in the same order that we have traditionally entered traverse information and it allows us to use the <ENTER> KEY after inputs instead of the TAB key). We find this entry method to be faster than the other options as it eliminates the need to shift to different cells for each entry.

The problem that I have run into now is that the point number is not incrementing after completion of the line entry input. In this instance I have a default ptnumber of (207006208). I believe that this routine in 2005 did increment the point numbers for each new input. (The pointnumbers are incrementing properly in the Hot Toggles box).

This also bring up the issue of not having any default description for any points entered in this routine. Our preferred default description would be the one entered on the previous point. My preference in pretty much every circumstance would be to have the last description be the default description for the next point entered.

As a secondary thought my first reaction was to suggest that you should revisit the order of input for all the traverse input options in the interests of standardizing them but I realized that this may cause us to lose the option that we prefer now and use on a regular basis. Possibly you could consider adding a routine that would allow us to choose the order of input related to traverse entry to apply to the different methods.

I will advise you of other issues if and as I find them.
artb
artb

Postby Darcy Detlor » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:26 am

Hi Art,

MicroSurvey implemented a ticket entry system so items like this would get processed as quickly and efficiently as possible. A forum like this is not as efficient as a ticket system, because:

a) the first available tech support rep won't necessarily get the report,
b) there is no automatic notification that someone has posted here. In the ticket system, 3 full time sales reps and their manager get a nudge on the computer screen almost instantly. One of them will pick it up, and the others will know. If no one picks it up, the manager can see that right away. That is unlikely because all three of them scan the ticket system constantly.
c) reports are generated if a ticket goes unanswered, and they bubble to the top with increasing urgency as time goes on.

To give you a quick answer, we possibly have introduced a change when converting from straight numerics to alphanumerics in that routine. Since command line entry of raw measurements is used less and less, we may not have bumped into that problem yet.

I did a lot of that conversion, so until proven wrong, I'm going to point the finger at me. I'll enter a ticket on this item for you so it goes into the system.
Darcy Detlor,
President,
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
[email protected]
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:00 pm

FYI - I have documented and logged 6 seperate issues with respect to Manual Traverse Entry - Command line method, into our tracking software. The programers will now be able to examine each of them and determine if they are items that need to be fixed or changed.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

use ticket entry system

Postby artb » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:29 pm

The quote below was taken from your helpdesk screen

"In order to submit a ticket and get a response from our support representatives, you must have a valid support contract, or you must own a software product that is on a maintenance contract."

According to your recommendation a better way to provide the information I did would be to submit a ticket on the issue.

If I understand the above quote then in order for me to advise you of a defect in your program I need to subscribe to the support contract before I can submit a ticket.

I don't object to needing a support contract if I need to avail myself to your services to assist me in operating your program.

I do, however, object to having to pay you before I can alert you to a problem, bug, defect, (or whatever you choose to call it) in your program routines.

In regards to the issue being dealt with in a timely matter I didn't see this issue as a burning issue and ,even if you did choose to deal with the problem routine I wouldn't expect to see any patch of fix for routine very quickly.

I know that your firm is conscientious in dealing with issues so I was confident that it would be looked at in a reasonable time frame.

I have concerns that dealing with the isuses that I and others have in your forum by relocating them to the Help Desk would deprive the general users of seeing what these issues are. It is very possible that others may have experienced the same issues or they may even see a solution to their problem or mine.
artb
artb

Postby Darcy Detlor » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:26 am

Hi Art,

We post a list of known issues on the helpdesk. We never did this before, as it requires constant maintenance. We have more people in our support department, because people are paying for support and maintenance. Funny how it works that way.

Here's a link to the list:

http://www.microsurvey.com/helpdesk/ind ... icleid=252

No registration is required to view this topic.
Darcy Detlor,
President,
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
[email protected]
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Return to MicroSurvey CAD