[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MicroSurvey Software Inc. • View topic - FLX FILES

FLX FILES

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

FLX FILES

Postby Richard Sands » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:18 am

Will MSCAD2002 (or earlier) open flx files of later versions of MSCAD up to 2005 when they changed to dwg extension?
regards, Richard
Richard Sands

Postby ianw2 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:29 am

Hey, Richard! Happy New Year to you down under....

Interesting question...

Since the old FLX format used basically the same data base structure during the past decade, I would assume that the earlier version would open the newer bersion,

The problems you might encounter would be when the earlier version runs across something that was an addition in a later version. I don't know how the error trapping would function.

Of course, the age old quick answer would be...try it! Just make sure you try it on backed up files.

Cheers!

Ian
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson Land Surveying, Inc.
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044
ianw2

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:31 am

MicroSurvey CAD 2004 will open any previous version of FLX file BUT MicroSurvey CAD 2002 will not open the FLX file from MicroSurvey CAD 2004.

www.graebert.com has a new program that will open all FLX files and allow you to save them to DWG files. PowerCAD DWG Viewer 7 is a relatively cheap program that will do this for you. Then you always have a legal licensed program at your disposal to do the conversions of all FLX file to DWG files.
Technically, the older MicroSurvey CAD programs can't be used being the license was upgraded to the current version (we do give you a few months to do all of the conversions, then after that the older program is supposed to be uninstalled for licensing reasons).
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby ianw2 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:04 am

I stand corrected.

The Viewer lists on the Graebrt website at €99. At today's exchange rate, that's about $146 US.

Hmmmm.....
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson Land Surveying, Inc.
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044
ianw2

flx conversion

Postby Richard Sands » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:17 pm

I appreciate the upgrade licence bit, but when the file structure changes so radically making old jobs unreadable in the latest version then I wonder if its an area where the owners should be allowed, and supported in that, to hold a version of the program that will allow them to open and convert the old file to a current extension. I appreciate the 3rd party conversion bit, but I doubt it would do the job exactly as it would be if converted from MSCAD 2004 flx to MSCAD ?? dwg.
One may well find things don't come through the conversion that should.
The reason for needing the conversion arose from a query from a lawyer yesterday regarding a 5 year old boundary dispute. The raw files still exist and I could recreate the job from such but its not the same as opening the job and printing out old plans as created back then.
(this is another area for Time Stamps to be useful from the unadulterated raw data files, the sort of thing i query in Field Genius output)
I've downloaded 2004 and installed so can get this file converted thankfully, but it will fall over in 30 days.
regards, Richard
Richard Sands

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:04 pm

I understand what you are saying and we do allow a short period for customers to do the conversion from FLX to DWG using the old upgraded copy. There is a batch process that can be used to do complete folders at one time.

The conversion program I mentioned earlier is in fact written by and sold by the same company that we used to license the CAD engine from that created the old FLX files. So the conversion is not a 3rd party, but in fact the original company that we got the license from to compile their engine into Microsurvey CAD products over the years.

In the next 30 days, go through the batch conversion option and get all your FLX files converted to DWG files - then this issue goes away. :)
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Postby rwhatman » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:32 am

rwhatman

flx files

Postby Vincent Popish » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:02 am

Vince Popish
Vincent Popish

flx to dwg

Postby artb » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:38 am

artb
artb

Postby rwhatman » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:48 am

rwhatman

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:03 am

Richard - the database is perfectly fine and will not be lost at all.

When you convert the FLX to DWG via any program, the database is not touched. When you then open this DWG file in Microsurvey CAD 2008, the database is automatically opened and converted to the new format. This is assuming that you have kept the database file in the same folder with the same name as the original FLX and the new DWG.

Keep in mind, this has NOT changed and MicroSurvey CAD 2005 is the same. It uses the DWG and database file and converts it to the file format it required. You still had to convert any old FLX files to DWG. Nothing has changed other than we can no longer legally give out passwords for the older program (which is now 3.5 plus years old) for anyone who has upgraded to either 2005 or 2008.

That is why we are suggesting that people either convert all FLX files to DWG using the batch conversion in the older MicroSurvey CAD (which really will not take a long time even with over 1000 FLX files, when done over 30 days, one mass folder or two, at a time, over lunch), or purchase the newest CAD engine from the same manufacturers that we licensed from for 2004 and previous versions. This gives a legal license that you can use forever.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

FLX to DWG

Postby Vincent Popish » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:14 am

Glen:
You didn't respond to the suggestion of you guys having a conversion utility on your website that would convert flx files to dwg files. You used to have the best support in the industry, bar none. But it appears to me that the attitude at Microsurvey is changing a little. I sure perferred the old.
Vince Popish
Vincent Popish

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:48 am

I can't comment on that as yet being that several key staff members that might be able to set this up, are out of the office. When they return, it will be discussed and see what options we can provide.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Postby rwhatman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:21 am

rwhatman

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:29 pm

Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

FLX CONVERSION

Postby Richard Sands » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:25 pm

Is it unreasonable for MSCAD users who have progressed through the versions 3.? to 2008 to not to be able to retain a version of the last 'flx' Mscad? I take your point regarding the PowerCAD, but what happens when they move on and decide not to support flx extensions and we are left with another program that for us not up to the task? Also would they support us if we upgrade to a new computer and need a key or whatever to get running?
I'm not against a small charge to re-issue a licence for the new key, maybe thats a better option than on-line conversion? Id support that though - think its a good idea.
My 2 bobs worth, Richard

I downloaded and tried the viewer. It certainly works ok. I noticed the data base didn't pick up the points at first - clicked on a point number and it came up as text. I had to save a few times in 2008 before it got the message that it was in fact a point and not a CAD entity.
(I have found with 2008 that in certain instances it takes while for an entity to become an MSCAD entity as opposed to just a CAD entity)
It is a defenite option but would prefer the licence for MSCAD2004.
It does have some language barriers too, unless you can speak German. Some of the toolbars are in German. I downloaded from the English Language site - got an email in German.
Guten Tag, Richard Sands,
vielen Dank, dass Sie PowerCAD Pro 7 von www.graebert.com heruntergeladen haben.

The PowerCAD DWG Viewer 7 has benefits that it converts to a far greater range of AutoCAD versions.
Richard Sands

Postby Darcy Detlor » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:11 am

Hello,

Just to clarify and hopefully put everyone's mind at rest...

MicroSurvey will always convert files for any customer who has a drawing in an older (flx) version and does not have the ability to update it to a newer version. If we have to maintain a copy of the latest PowerCAD version to do this, we will do it. We may charge for this service, but anyone can avoid that charge by purchasing the PowerCAD viewer.
Darcy Detlor,
President,
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
darcy.detlor@microsurvey.com
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Licensing.

Postby B. K. Lemons » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:52 pm

B. K. Lemons

This is getting kind of abstract

Postby Darcy Detlor » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:37 pm

Darcy Detlor,