Three Questions Regarding Tutorials

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Three Questions Regarding Tutorials

Postby shippy7 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:41 pm

I've been through the Getting Started tutorials and have the following questions re 2008 movies and data:
1 I have downloaded the advanced tutorials. When I play these movies I get blips and beeps in the background...and as the file plays the voice over (though it sounds normal) gets progressively farther ahead of the visual. Are these problems on my end...or with the files themselves? Any suggestions.

2 It would be good to have the same data used in the tutorials so that one can follow through doing the work. I can't find them, if they do exist, even though there are some data files there. Is there a download source for these data files?

3. It would be good to have tutorials or movies (or both) on the sewer/storm and water mains modules....I cant find any!

Regards, Robert
shippy7

Postby gskelly » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:52 am

We have just finished evaluation of (and purchased) MSCAD 2008 and I have not experienced and synchronization problems with the help movies. I have viewed them from both WinXP and Win2000.

I have noticed there are two very different volume levels which is would be nice to see normalized but no sync problem.

I would also add I have found these movies extremely useful and in comparison to the value they provide me the volume issue is minor.

Regards,

Greg
gskelly

Postby shippy7 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:00 am

Greg:

And you had no problem with the advanced tutorials (not part of the regular download of 2008)? I listened again to the "Volumes using the Area Method". An gave up on it!. Have tried it on another computer as well. Anyway...

As one of my questions indicated, it would be good to have the data to be able to follow the tutorials. I wonder if it is available from MS?

Regards,
Robert
shippy7

Postby shippy7 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:02 am

Oh: and I should say that my third issue--the absense of totorials on roads, sewers and water lines, was partially incorrect -- there are tutorials on sewert and a simple road...nothing on water lines.

Robert
shippy7

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:14 pm

Most of the files we used in the Tutorials in the help file (not the movies) are found in the following folder location: C:\Documents and Settings\Glen\My Documents\MicroSurvey\MSCAD\2008\Examples
Where the name GLEN would be your name or log on used id.

Not all topics were able to have movies created for them. As it was we actually did way too many to fit on a CD. The water lines routine you mentioned is pretty straight forward to use, try it a few times and you will see what I mean.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby gskelly » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:19 pm

Hi Robert,

I just viewed the Volumes by area method video (it was 11:52 duration). It did have a two or three very minor pop sounds in the first minute or two but for me there was no sync problem.

This was tried from the demo version I had installed at home on Windows 2000 Pro... don't know if that makes a difference.

Regards,

Greg
gskelly

More on movies...

Postby gskelly » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:18 pm

Hey,

I have experienced the same problem described by Robert. I have determined it only occurs when I view movies on machines where Flash Player 9 is installed. Dropping my machines back to Flash 8 seems to have sorted the problem out for my. Windows XP Pro with IE 7 Flash 8 works ok. Windows XP Pro IE 7 Flash 9 does not work well at all.

Hope that helps someone...

Regards,

Greg
gskelly

Return to MicroSurvey CAD