printing shades of gray?

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

printing shades of gray?

Postby GEM » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:29 am

I use MSCAD 2004 and I would like to shade around the perimeter of a lot. Is there a way to do this? I can draw a polyline around the lot set a width to it and a color such as 9. Is there a way to vary the printed density of the polyline so that it is not so dark (black)?
GEM

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:51 pm

Tell the print routine that you are printing in color. Then set the ink color to black for everything except the areas you want to be grey and use the shade desired. This is assuming you have a color plotter of course.

If you have a black and white plotter, then I don't know that we can do it.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby rwhatman » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:00 pm

Glen Cameron wrote:Tell the print routine that you are printing in color. Then set the ink color to black for everything except the areas you want to be grey and use the shade desired. This is assuming you have a color plotter of course.

If you have a black and white plotter, then I don't know that we can do it.

Finally something Glen does not know.

I know, with a Black and white plotter works the same.
In the CTB file you can pick a color or Shade of Gray both work,
but you choose print Color not black.

I used 256 has a good grey or 9 and 8 for contours.
rwhatman

Postby ianw2 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:08 pm

Ed-zachary!, Mr. whatman!

I use an HP 488CA plotter. It IS a color plotter, but I just have "dead" cartridges in the color pot spots. I like using color 8 or 9 for contours, too! I have the "medium" gray set, too (is it grey or gray in Canada? - I can never remember...).

If you need an odd shaped block of greay/gray, you can always draw a cute closed polyline around the area you want greyed/grayed out. Use a solid hatch with the hatch color set to the gray/grey you want Drop out the bounday (or set the boundary color to the same gray/grey).

You can also create some very nice effects by using a thin border line around the gray/grey solid hatch. Set the border to a slightly darker grey/gray color. This looks quite nice for water patterns in lakes, etc.

Now, does anyone have a vector line drawing of a mermaid or a sea monster for me to drop into my California Lakes?

Ian...

Have great weekend...

I was supposed to be DiveMaster aboard the Magician out of San Pedro this weekend. Trip cancelled due to weatyher. I guess I'll be drafting instead.
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson Land Surveying, Inc.
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044
ianw2

Return to MicroSurvey CAD