CHANGING TO UTM COORDINATES

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

CHANGING TO UTM COORDINATES

Postby wflux » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:13 pm

I hope this isn't a repeat as I already submitted this but forgot to enter a subject, so I suspect it never went through. Any how why shoudn't this go like the rest of my day. The problem I'm having is I'm well into a large project with lot's of line work and contours etc. It was all surveyed in relation to Property pin and Hubs not UTM coordinates. Now one of the consultants wants the job in UTM. I have transfered UTM coordinates to the site but am not having any luck converting. I tried shifting points but the points shift just like I loaded a new ascii file, point info only,no line work it's all sitting at another part of the screen. Can this be done, if so I'd be thankfull to hear how.

Walt
wflux

CHANGING COORDINATES

Postby Richard Sands » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:07 pm

Were your lines attached to the points?
I occasionally do a shift by using basic CAD commands. Yes I know MSCAD techs will shriek, but sometimes thats the most expedient way. (I do a lot of CAD work that never gets attached to the database in MSCAD) Contours aren't part of the database. (not sure how reprojection in mSCAD handles these).
If they want TINS or similar in UTM then you need to create those before. The model will still be at coords of creation.
I create a point at the new location and then use COGO with linework 'ON' to join a line. I then make sure everything is turned ON and shift all from one end of the line to the other. Make sure the line is 2D set to zero elevation or same both ends.
I've scaled and rotated similarly.
I backup before doing anything in case all goes pearshape or MSCAD crashes in the process.
Other option would be to update linework/ database to attach them to the points. Wouldn't affect Contours/ Tins etc though.
regards, Richard
Richard Sands

Postby Glen Cameron » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:51 am

As Richard said - make a copy of everything before trying the following.

Import the two UTM coordinates into your drawing (place them on their own layer). Thaw and turn On all layers. Lock the layer for the UTM points.

No you can use a command called ALIGN to move, rotate and scale everything in the drawing, in 1 command.

The ALIGN command allows you to select everything, then match 2 sets of points, one in the original drawing and the other a UTM point. When asked for a third base point, simply press enter. Try the command on something simple to be sure you understand how it works.

This will NOT update any surface files, as it only affects entities in the drawing that you select. If you need the surface files, you may need to rebuild them using the newly modified entities.

I hope this helps.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Changing to UTM Coordinates

Postby wflux » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:40 am

Hi Richard Hi Glen

Thanks for your response on a holiday weekend. I have got the project moved to UTM coordinates. The only little glitch was the description and point numbers were duplicated. So I isolated and deleted them and then regenerated with the update drawing from database. Then everything appears correct.

Thanks again.
Walter
wflux

Return to MicroSurvey CAD