Help - I can make the earth move, but my lines wont budge!

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Help - I can make the earth move, but my lines wont budge!

Postby DonG » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:54 pm

Yes, I surveyed some features which I successfully imported and then joined points by description ( thanks Richard ). I also seperated the information into required layers. Then I "Drew" "Lines" between existing points within the layers. My final job was to do an x,y,z shift of the data. No worries until all the points moved as required, but left my linework behind!! Any ideas? Thanx

DonG :?
DonG

Postby John Gallagher » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:10 pm

Quick question,when you say you drew the lines,was this using the cad lines command (with the osnap set for points) or was this using the MsCAD Automap function?
If using the cad part of the program,then the lines are not in the data base and so won't be moved with the points doing a RTS.

Like Richard,a long time user,but if you"re new to the program then you'll have a support contract so if this isn't the cause of your problem then call on Glen,he's a waterfall of knowledge about the program.
John Gallagher
John Gallagher

Postby DonG » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:45 pm

Thanx John
Yes, I did join the points using the DRAW / LINES command with SNAP on. Not sure of the difference between the MSCad Automap and the other functions. This ( like all new packages ) is a time consuming and frustrating experience. The help menu is good but does not take the place of one on one tuition. I will persevere !!
Don
DonG

Postby Richard Sands » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:33 pm

have you found the 'Join by description', option "_joindesc"
or the 'Lines by Inversing', "_connect_points" under COGO menus?
Both these draw lines that are part of the data base.
The "_joindesc" bit refers to an entry direct into the command line if your'e so inclined.
I have shortcuts to many commands that speed things up a lot.

This thread gives an option too.
http://www.microsurvey.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1776
AutoMAp is a feature of MSCAD and not CAD. It does things to the data base in terms of linework that isn't available in CAD commands.
Like John said I imagine you would be able to get tech help - but don't be put off from posting on the Forum.
Tech help is very good.
regards,
Richard
Richard Sands

Postby DonG » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:18 am

thanx guys - yes I am starting to see that the program is split into a "visual" CAD side and a "survey" MSCAD style. I need to use more of the MSCAD tools in order to keep me database current therefore allowing me to carry out calc's on the data. OK !! I have a new query which I will post !!

Don G
DonG

Align

Postby Gord » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:19 am

You will have to move the lines, text etc that you put in using CAD manually. Fastest way to do this that I use is the align command.

Ie. if you have a line that you drew between points 9 & 10 using CAD & OSNAP that didn't move, draw a new line after the shift/rotation. Now type align and pick the points in the appropriate order and it will move everything quickly and perfectly. I can't recall if there's a movie on this or not but if there is I'm sure Glen explained it better than me!

Good luck,
Gord
Gord

I can make the earth move.

Postby wflux » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:20 am

Hi Don,
I had a similar problem in shifting to UTM coordinates. Glen and Richard replied to my post "CHANGING TO UTM COORDINATES" on March 23 2008.

Walt
wflux

Return to MicroSurvey CAD