Distance errors with automap symbols

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Distance errors with automap symbols

Postby Vince Boothe » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:35 am

I've just noticed something scary in my drawing. When working in cogo, with the hot toggles on for linework and distance, the distance that is inserted onto the drawing is correct. If I then use the the auto dist command icon, I get a distance that is 0.900 shorter if there is one automap symbol on one end of the line and 1.800 shorter if both ends have automap symbol. Checking the inverse in cogo gives the proper distance again, as does clicking on the line with the grips off.

Any ideas?
Vince Boothe

Postby Vince Boothe » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:36 pm

Seems to be that the dist command is not linking back to the database, just giving me the line lenght. I audited the database but that hasn't fixed it.
Vince Boothe

DISTANCE DIFFERENCES

Postby Richard Sands » Thu May 01, 2008 12:41 am

From HELP - MsAnnotate | Add Line Labels | Auto Distance
This command enters a distance above or below a line in the same way that Auto Bearing enters a bearing. The distance is related to the line, and if the points move, the distance will update automatically. The distance is calculated by inversing between the two coordinates. The distance is always the horizontal distance between the points. If the line is trimmed to make room for symbols at the endpoints, the distance will still be correct.
Once the line is trimmed then if you autodistance the trimmed line then it treats it as a new entity if using some other command to add distance. (Thats how I understand it to work. may be wrong?)
The COGO command works from the points to create the distance and the line and thats what the data-base knows about. That said it is a bit strange as a 'line without trimming' if trimmed manually, by some other method, then invokes a warning the line has been removed from the data base.
Richard Sands

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu May 01, 2008 5:55 am

If you have 2 points 100 feet apart from each other and you do a COGO inverse, the distance reported will be 100 of course.

If you label the line with any of the MsAnnotate | Add Line Labels options then the distance will label as 100, assuming you do not have a scale factor being applied via the Labeling Defaults.

If you have a symbol on 1 or both of the points and the line is automatically trimmed back via AutoMAP, the distance between the points remains the same of course, and the label will still be correctly labeled as 100.

CADLines will also show the correct length between the points as 100 (picking the lne with GRIPS turned off). It will also confirm if the line is Survey Data or CAD Data. If it shows as a CAD Data then it is no longer in the database and will now report the shorter length.

If you use the LIST command then it will report a shorter distance being it does not use or query our survey database.

If you manually do a trim of the line, then it is no longer linked to our database and the length will then be reported as shorter.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD