I want to make it bigger !!

A general sounding board for non-product specific surveying issues

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

I want to make it bigger !!

Postby DonG » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:20 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen.
My square is too small. How do I make it bigger?? I have entered the coords in the Coord Editor - all good. I have looked up "EXPAND" in the help menu but to no avail. Im sure this is an easy task but finding the answer is the hard bit!!

Thanx
DonG

ENLARGE SQUARE

Postby Richard Sands » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:23 am

Not sure what you mean? I assume you have 4 points forming a square. Do you just want to scale the sides?
If so look under 'Mspoints', 'Scale/shift/rotate.' Does that work for your requirements?
Richard Sands

Postby DonG » Thu May 08, 2008 7:11 pm

Richard
If say I have a polygon representing a ground area, and I need to expand it by say 5 metres to allow for a clearing area all around the polygon, how do I do that? I have worked with the shift and rotate function, but the scale thing I cant see doing this particular problem. It is really just a 5m ( or whatever ) offset line either inside or outside the original shape. Does that explain better what I am after?
Thanks Richard.
DonG

Postby ianw2 » Fri May 09, 2008 6:01 am

You haven't really explained your situation well, yet.

Are you doing this in the field or the office? What software/equipment are you using? What is the required accuracy of the larger shape? Is the ground covered in 20' panic brush or is it just knee-high ground cover? Is this a theoretical question or a real-life situation?
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson Land Surveying, Inc.
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044
ianw2

OFFSET LINES

Postby Richard Sands » Fri May 09, 2008 2:45 pm

I expect you are wanting the Parallel Offset routine - MODIFY/ Parallel.
This works for polygons, lines, polylines.
If you have a polygon (figure) derived from surveyed points and you want to buffer that area then the original points can't create a new 'buffered polygon'.
(Well it could if your figure was symetrical and you scaled from the centroid.)
If you want to create points for the buffered area then add points to the newly created area (polygon) using 'MSPOINTS/ auto add points' or type _auto_add_database at the command line.
You would have to Explode the polygon first or add the points manually using snaps to end of line at each vertice.
Hope that helps.
Richard Sands

Postby DonG » Fri May 23, 2008 9:29 pm

Thanks again Richard - that works OK. I have worked with other packages which allow that process to be done much quicker and easier.
By any chance are you coming to the West Coast one day? I could really do with a couple of days training. I would even consider a quick trip to Tassie if you were available - a small fee could be arranged!!
DonG

MSCAD TRAINING

Postby Richard Sands » Sat May 24, 2008 6:40 pm

Gday Don
No plans for WA at moment - never been there, but you have a lot to offer over west.
Give me a ring or email - go into my profile and send a message. I'll send you my contacts then if you want to go that way.
What sort of work do you use Mscad for? What sort of help do you want?
I'm willing to help get you running.
regards
Richard
Richard Sands

Return to Surveying Topics