TIN COLORS

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

TIN COLORS

Postby Peter G » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:18 am

Had to do some editing of the tin lines around some round man holes and trees. So exploded the tin, did the editing, re-grouped them. BUT the color is still black as the color is set to "BY LAYER".

How can I re set the color to "VARIES"? Can change it in "Entity Properties", but does not stay.
Peter G

Postby Brian Sloman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:19 pm

Hi, when you draw a TIN as a Polyface, it is one single polyline entity with special vertex data defining the colors. If you explode it, it gets converted into separate 3DFace entities and the colors from the previous mesh are not maintained. When you draw the TIN, instead of drawing it with the Polyface option you can use the Faces option, then the individual triangles will be drawn with the same colors you see with the Polyface, and there is no need to explode the polyface.

Also *very important* please note that editing the triangles that are drawn does not in any way affect the surface model which will be used for generating contours, volume calculations, etc. You would have to extract the updated linework as breaklines into a new surface.
Brian Sloman
Development Manager
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby Peter G » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:02 am

Brian,

Thanks very much for you input, and for James in your office who helped me earier. With out you guys being here to help I would never have got my drawing with a tin and contours looking so. The movies although good cann't say everything us beginners need know and that is where you guys come in. So thanks again and keep up the good work. :lol:
Peter G

Return to MicroSurvey CAD