point averaging

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

point averaging

Postby Dave Tlusty » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:00 pm

With RTK GPS, I like to record several shots on one point. Is there a way to take the aveage coordinates of say 3 shots and store that value? Or... is there a way to let FG know that I'm about to record the same point, a given number of times?

If this can't be done right now, I'd like to see it in a future update.
Dave Tlusty

Re: point averaging

Postby Richard Sands » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:26 pm

Yes I agree - Thats high on my priority.
I just spent an hour in MSCAD today averaging all my RTK control points from yesterday.
When this is made available then we also need to have the points stored in the RTK (GPS) database in their original positions please. IE ALL points picked up by RTK to abe averaged as in this request, to be actually recorded somewhere in FG that doesn't get fiddled with - EVER.
Same for ALL points done by RTK - they too need to be stored in their original unaltered state please.
May have missed something - so if the original surveyed points by RTK method are actually stored in an 'unadulterated form' then thats good. I'm not aware they are.
I understand when we adjust/ transform GPS points they get altered in the raw data file, and new ones created. I'm still a bit wary about retrieving that 'lost' data.
Richard Sands

Postby Dave Tlusty » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:57 am

After thinking about this, and to maintain all original data as Richard stated, the solution would be to simply add a "MEAN"/"AVERAGE" function to FG. I could then select any points, hit the MEAN function and store the 'new' point as I wish.
It could be added as a TAB under SURVEY TOOLS, as there are other point operations (store and delete last) located there now.
The raw data would show that you 'meaned' points to compute your 'new'. SMI had this function for a LONG time!
Dave Tlusty

Postby Richard Sands » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:51 am

actually I'd prefer to nominate it before just as we do with Total Stn mode.
Chose 'Multiset' and just continue to store shots until you have enough. Then you can review them and if needed discard any that have larger deviations.
Saves heaps time.
Richard Sands

Postby Gord » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:06 am

http://feedback.microsurvey.com/forums/ ... -points-at

new request for averaging that can be voted on if you agree with me!
Gord
Keatley Surveying Ltd.
Manitoulin Island
www.keatley.msdcorp.com
Gord

Return to FieldGenius