Microsurvey - where to from here?

Discussion of MicroSurvey inCAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Microsurvey - where to from here?

Postby Richard Sands » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:22 am

I respectfully offer these thoughts.
It seems some of us (who are vocal here, others also probably similar but not vocal) are concerned at the lack of development (fixes to) of existing programs which could be seen at the expense of ever increasing widening of the applications Microsurvey are venturing into.

As a long term user of Microsurvey products and having (endeavoured) to put much effort into suggestions, requests,phone discussions, Beta testing and other offers of assistance over many years I think I am somewhat qualified to express concerns that I reckon others are feeling also.
We are led to believe that improvements, enhancements are ‘imminent’ or ‘planned for the upcoming release’ only to wait and wait and wait and still wait with no recognition of the delays or comments when that penultimate time will arrive.
It is frustrating to say the least. Microsurvey survives on sales from (mainly - probably?) surveyors and without whom they would not exist. In that we have a vital part as a unit. One can’t exist without the other.

In my business I would soon go out of business if I broadcast how good my product was or I would deliver in ‘x’ time but then fail in that claim or obligation.
Both Field Genius and Microsurvey are products that have developed over time and carrying through various versions issues that should either have not been there or at least fixed in a ‘fix’.
I remember a time when issues were fixed mid-stream and we were back on track. It was brilliance at its very best.
Communication was 2 ways and one felt very much part of a process.
Currently it seems from my experience this is not the case. Emails and comments here go unanswered.
It doesn’t really give me any pleasure posting this but as some have asked but also received no answers then perhaps it needs posting.

I ask no favours or placating just positive, creative action that makes Field Genius a genius in its own right, Microsurvey Cad or InCad leaders in their field, not by claims in magazines or web sites, but by others experiencing the power and ease and user friendliness in every possible way.
This is my 2 bobs worth from DownUnder.
regards
Richard
Richard Sands

Re: Microsurvey - where to from here?

Postby Darcy Detlor » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:25 pm

Hi,

MicroSurvey has invested millions of dollars in the development of our product lines. This year we introduced new support for high definition scanners and lidar. FieldGenius has had a major redesign to modernize it for further development. Sometimes you have to take a step backward in development so you can take two steps forward.

We are currently testing our programs on the next version of IntelliCAD. The IntelliCAD consortium has invested over 100 man years of development on the next version so bugs fixes and improvements can be implemented much faster than in the current code base. During this time period we expanded to support the Seismic Surveying industry, because the US land surveying market was absolutely crushed by the recession. In 25 years I never witnessed anything remotely similar to the damage that this recession caused. We have expanded into other markets to try to keep our revenues up and we now have our FieldGenius program in 9 languages ( up from 1 just a couple of years ago ). Last month we acquired the #1 Least Squares product on the market, with huge worldwide potential.

These are things that we had to do to get our sales to recover back to pre-recession levels. This is what was necessary to keep the development team intact and enable it to grow in 2010. It may not look like much is happening, but behind the scenes, it is.
Darcy Detlor,
President,
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
[email protected]
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Return to MicroSurvey inCAD