Copy/Move Items from Model Space to Paper Space

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Copy/Move Items from Model Space to Paper Space

Postby Eric Anderson » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:00 am

Is there a way to copy/move lines, polylines, etc. from the model space tab to a layout (paper space) tab? If so, how? Or where should I be looking under in the Help file?

Here is what I'm trying to do:

I'm working on some R/W Plats in Model Space. In my Layout Tabs (one for each plat) are my elements for my title block, etc. I want to take my new R/W boundary, rotate it and scale it down and put it into my vicinity map which is in paper space.
Eric Anderson
Senior Survey Technician
Olmsted County Public Works
Rochester, MN
Eric Anderson

Re: Copy/Move Items from Model Space to Paper Space

Postby Richard Sands » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:24 pm

One easy way is to export the things you want in the Layout from Model as a Block.
You will need to 'Ctl Z' after you save the Block as the elements will be gone from the dwg.
Then export it to disc (_WBLOCK).
You could also just simply place the Block onto Layout Mode once saved (internally) as a Block.
Then you can import into the Layout and rotate, scale etc at will. If needed explode the block on import and cut out or amend to suit,

Alternatively open a dwg with the elements in (Model Space) and the other dwg in Layout Mode and just COPY ( _COPY) from one space to the other.
We are told thats tempting fate, but if it works then it works.
If the program allows it then I make use of what is available.
Play around BUT make backups before you do anything.
I have found just Saving doesn't always protect and use the MSBackup is the sure way.
Richard Sands

Re: Copy/Move Items from Model Space to Paper Space

Postby Eric Anderson » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:58 am

Richard Sands wrote:Alternatively open a dwg with the elements in (Model Space) and the other dwg in Layout Mode and just COPY ( _COPY) from one space to the other.
We are told thats tempting fate, but if it works then it works.
If the program allows it then I make use of what is available.
Play around BUT make backups before you do anything.
I have found just Saving doesn't always protect and use the MSBackup is the sure way.

Thanks Richard! :)

This is what I ended up doing. I opened a sample drawing, copied between drawings and then I switched to the appropriate RW Plat tab in my first drawing and copied between drawings again.

Seems to me that there should be a simpler way to do that without jumping through a lot of hoops. Of course the way I did it, might have been the simplest way!
Eric Anderson
Senior Survey Technician
Olmsted County Public Works
Rochester, MN
Eric Anderson

Return to MicroSurvey CAD