Saved with errors

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Saved with errors

Postby Richard Sands » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:53 am

This came back to bight again today and playing about I found if I deleted all files except the dwg or put the dwg in a separate folder and opened the dwg with audit checked then it opened and saved and I could then get on with work.
Running an audit seemed to fix the problems.
I suspect it was one of the other files that caused the problem.

The frustrating thing was that when Beta testing the AutoCad version I ran several of my old 'Savedwitherrors' dwgs through it and it opened and saved and I could keep working and saving without any problems.

I don't know what invokes the issues - suspect copying between dwgs (MSCAD routine) from paperspace to paperspace is one thing not liked.
But AutoCAD version didn't have an issue as I deliberately put it to the test in Beta testing.

Is there a fix coming for these in the ICad versions please?
Richard Sands

Re: Saved with errors

Postby rwhatman » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:06 am

Richard Sands wrote:This came back to bight again today and playing about I found if I deleted all files except the dwg or put the dwg in a separate folder and opened the dwg with audit checked then it opened and saved and I could then get on with work.
Running an audit seemed to fix the problems.
I suspect it was one of the other files that caused the problem.

The frustrating thing was that when Beta testing the AutoCad version I ran several of my old 'Savedwitherrors' dwgs through it and it opened and saved and I could keep working and saving without any problems.

I don't know what invokes the issues - suspect copying between dwgs (MSCAD routine) from paperspace to paperspace is one thing not liked.
But AutoCAD version didn't have an issue as I deliberately put it to the test in Beta testing.

Is there a fix coming for these in the ICad versions please?

I seen Savedwitherrors. Never use that drawing. It will have a Proxy graphics from another program in it.
AutoCad will even say the same thing and still save what it can.

The work around is to ask the sender to explode the graphics into lines and resend or you
explode what you can and copy it to another drawing.

Then save the other drawing.

I have Savedwitherrors and found nothing in that drawing, all gone.
rwhatman

Postby Richard Sands » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Richard this happens with me when using ONLY my own Mscad originated dwgs.
It happens frequently here.
When I found the EmbedCad I was testing did actually open and save those old files I still had from past jobs gone array it made me wonder .
Thats when I found if worked with only the dwg in a folder that didn't contain the associated Mscad files I cpould edit and save the dwg.

I suspect its an Intellicad/ Mscad issue due to the way Embedcad (AutoCad/Mscad) version worked fine on the very dwg's that Mscad crashed on.

Hopefully Microsurvey will discover what the issue(s) is.
regards
Richard Sands

Postby rwhatman » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:49 pm

I did test Embeded Cad as will, found the Cad engine very good. Open every old drawing I tried with no problem. Saying that. Most of my old drawings are 2000 version or better.

In the felix days there was a conversion problem that not many knew about. I had few say that my drawings crashed for them. If I can remember now, you had to convert to AutoCAD 14, its the only one that felix got right. We found this out the hard way with Microsurvey 2005, many my tital blocks and other blocks had to be
redone.

If you do any saving, crash. We had just bought 4 new computers to run 2005 and since I had said we needed it, we almost asked for are money back.

MicroSurvey was right on top of the problem and told me what caused it.

Anyway I think you have a old block in your drawing that need to be redone, that my best guess.

Thank you Richard for your reply. We never know if we can help any more.
rwhatman

Postby Richard Sands » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:35 pm

Thanks Richard
I have plenty of old blocks and dwgs that have been carried through from early days and in many instances flx days.
Worth me looking at in ernest.

I do know that copying from paper space to paper space in 2010 can bring on a 'Saved with errors' response.

Many of the blocks that get installed by default with Mscad are dated 2001( and some 2005).
'APWA' has 263 such files and 'BLOCKS' 38.
I wonder how well they integrate with year 2011 versions?
I haven't Embedcad installed now but doubt blocks were recreated especially for that and so it begs the ask why does Embedcad work but not Intellicad?
Probably says a lot for Autocad, but maybe not??

I have my own blocks that go back that far also.

It would be nice for a response from Microsurvey on this vexing issue.
I doubt we are the only ones faced with such. Maybe its common to our name only? :lol:

Edit:
Just went looking about and wondered how effective this "IntelliConvert.exe" found in C:\Program Files (x86)\MicroSurvey\MSCAD2010 was in true conversions to a more stable file?
Richard Sands

Postby rwhatman » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:01 am

I have never tried to copy paper space to paper space. Did you use MScopy. Why I ask is if you tile a drawing and try to copy from one window to the next window you get a ERROR. The program thinks your coping from one drawing to another drawing when your not.

Try mscopy and see if that makes a deference.

I don't have your problem and we have same program, so it may not be the program, but how we use it.

When I was checking out Embedded Cad I found problem that crashed it. It wasn't the program but my Virse Program (AVG) that caused the problem.
I had to turn off Scaning of dll in AVG. This solved the problem and made even my MicroSuvey2010 work better. MicroSurvey Active database is a dll file.

P.S. Note: MicroSurvey2010 is now getting old. Looks like we wont see a 2011, maybe a early 2012. :P
rwhatman

Postby saltitone » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:39 am

The work around that I use is this: I insert the original DWG (as a block) into an open Mscad file that I have created as a "work" dwg and then bind the new "block" and then explode the block and if there are nested blocks you may need to explode more times. I then MScopy from the "work" dwg into my permanent dwg.

Sal
saltitone

Postby Richard Sands » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:46 pm

Thanks Sal
That would work for new dwgs only I guess?
Most times I am working with a dwg for days/ weeks and then the inevitable happens.
Something triggers the prompt and then its very hard to recreate the dwg (sometimes impossible) to the state it was when it crashed.

I do a lot of modelling using Mscad points, lines etc but also 3D polylines and I have always (since 3.1) had issues with 'modelled' dwg's. Rare to have one see the job out without a crash and lately 'SWE' prompt.
I bought Mscad for its Cad + Surveying and as such I try to fully use its CAD functions
Richard Sands

Postby saltitone » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:55 pm

Richard did you get the SWE before you beta tested embedded autocad? I do not remember getting these errors before I did the beta testing.
saltitone

Postby Richard Sands » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:02 pm

yes I did.
Not sure for how long but at least 12-18 months possibly longer.
(I could easily check as I still have a swag of them on my drives)

It was in the Beta Embedcad I decided to test these rogue dwgs out (my old SWE's).
(I have some SWE's saved as SWE saved as SWE...)
I opened them in Embedcad and they didn't miss a beep so I saved them again in EmbedCad then opened in 2010 and they were converted bcak to 2010 and then found a Save bought the SWE back.
Thats when I played around in MsCad2010 with just the dwg in a folder without any of the other associated files and found I could do things not possible when the other files were in same folder.

After that I really gave the EmbedCad a hard time just to see how good it was and I found it far more stable than the Intellicad version.
Images (very large geotiffs) was a major improvement in speed but also stability.
Richard Sands

Postby saltitone » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:21 am

Thanks for the info and I agree that embedded cad was very stable.
saltitone

Postby Richard Sands » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:41 pm

Tried in vain to load some dwg's sent from an engineer.
It created SWE's at will.

I'd be interested if EmbedCad reads these and I've attached one here.
Maybe someone could see if it can be opened and saved without hiccup please.
I don't have EmbedCad anymore or would try myself.

regards
Richard

Well - for some reason it wont allow me to upload.
I started with dwg then PDF then txt then no extension - any ideas please how to load to this site.
Each upload was met with 'The extension "nnn" is not allowed',
Richard Sands

Return to MicroSurvey CAD