Flatten command

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Flatten command

Postby surveyor6925 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:21 am

When using the drape and flatten command I pick on the end of the line that I want to be Station 0+00. The profile and grid is then plotted backwards. My fix is to copy mirror image, reverse the stationing, move the profile to the zero end. Is this a bug or did I miss something?
Tim Riley
surveyor6925

Re: Flatten command

Postby DKNTEC » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:41 pm

Flatten draws the profile in the direction the line was drawn.
Try it on a line drawn on a 90 degree bearing, and then on a line drawn on a 270 degree bearing, and you'll see what I mean.

To reverse the direction of a line you have already drawn, use MsModeling>Utilities>Polyline Utilities>Swap ends.
This also changes the line to Layer 0, so you will need to change it back to your named layer.

Unlike Bearing/Distance labelling, it doesn't matter which end of the line you pick.

Dan
DKNTEC

Re: Flatten command

Postby DKNTEC » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:41 pm

Adding a bit more to my post yesterday.
To 'fix' the profile 'going in the wrong direction;

When you drape the original line, MSCAD asks 'Delete the original (2D) line?'
I say 'No', and I keep it on a working layer in case I need it again for the very reason of the problem you've encountered.

Then, if later finding the 'goof' of the profile going in the wrong direction as you did, I;
-delete the reversed drape line (or move it out to a frozen working layer),
-select the original line again,
-do the 'Swap ends' on it as noted in above post,
-Drape it again and then redo Flatten for the new profile in the right direction.

-------
Theoretically,to reduce the above steps, you might be able to simply do a 'Swap ends' on the already Draped line which is going in the wrong direction, and simply run Flatten again on that same Draped line.
However, I prefer to 'start from scratch' again on the original line, to reduce potential problems, as I once encountered an odd shift while Swapping ends on a Draped complex 'line' - which is why I point this out.

------
If your 'line' is complex, more than a simple straight tangent line, i.e. a road CL comprised of straight tangents and curved sections joined into a polyline, try to get all the pieces 'going in the right direction' before joining together into the polyline.
Although I believe MSCAD will 'take the line direction' from the first segment selected when joining pieces into a polyline, I do this to reduce potential for problems.

-------
If your original line is a simple straight tangent, another way to change the direction is simply snap to the midpoint of the line and rotate it 180 degrees before doing Drape and Flatten.
I prefer the 'Swap ends' method myself though, to avoid an inadvertent location shift.

Let us know here in the forum if this 'Swap ends' worked for you.
Dan
DKNTEC

Return to MicroSurvey CAD