Averaged points not adjusted by localization?

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Averaged points not adjusted by localization?

Postby Gord » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:32 am

Something I just noticed that I'm wondering if it's oversight by FG programming or if we have something set wrong. If we localize after having tied in some points and used point averaging for RTK shots, the averaged points don't adjust with the measured points.
Did I miss something?
Gord
Keatley Surveying Ltd.
Manitoulin Island
www.keatley.msdcorp.com
Gord

Re: Averaged points not adjusted by localization?

Postby Jason Poitras » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:55 pm

Localization will only update measured GPS shots, so if you measured a point with three different occupations, then used the average point routine in the point database, the result is stored as a SP (store point) record. The SP record is not affected by localization when you run the Adjust GPS button in the localization dialog.

You can however apply localization parameters to points in the database. Simply highlight the points you also want to modify with the localization parameters, and use the localize button.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby Gord » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:31 am

Sorry but you guys really missed the mark with FG version of RTK point averaging. See my suggestion re: being able to average multiple measurements for a single point.
Nothing about this way of having more than one measurement on a point works well in practice.
Gord
Keatley Surveying Ltd.
Manitoulin Island
www.keatley.msdcorp.com
Gord

Postby Jason Poitras » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:37 am

Hi Gord,

I understand what you want and were expecting, but that routine is not advertised at an RTK Measurement averaging routine. It is advertised as a point averaging routine. It allows you to average points measured with RTK, Total Station, COGO, Imported, Calculated etc .... and creates a SP record of the result.

In a future version we will be looking at adding more advanced GPS measurement techniques and RTK Averaging will be one of them.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby Gord » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:58 am

How far in the future are you looking?
I know I get complaints daily from both field staff and whomever is looking at the job back in the office with pincushions at every corner tied in with RTK.
G
Gord
Keatley Surveying Ltd.
Manitoulin Island
www.keatley.msdcorp.com
Gord

Postby Richard Sands » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:21 pm

If you want more GPS (RTK) 'averaged' shots then what is the difference between telling FG to log 1 minutes (or whatever you chose) of data and it then means all and you have one point.
(Point tolerance mode - time or observations)
This could be achieved by selecting the Active Tolerance Mode.
That said I do that but repeat same on same point at time of occupation. I would like to be able to see the comparisons easily and average those.

Also I have times when I log same point morning, noon and afternoon and would want to see what all points were and then average if needed but still have my originals.

I am a bit uneasy about some of Total Station sets that we don't get to view after the event. After STORE POINT is hit ie.

My 2 bobs worth.
Richard Sands

Return to FieldGenius