Existing Road Alignment

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Existing Road Alignment

Postby RitchieJ » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:28 am

I have a survey of an existing road and I'm simply trying to create an existing alignment. I drew a centerline, edge of pavement and edge of shoulder using 3dpoly. Using the spline command gives me a good visual representation but I can't turn it into an alignment using autoroute.

I think I'm probably just attacking this the wrong way, could anyone give me a push in the right direction to be able to have a curved alignment without trying to guess the curve data?

MicroSurvey v2010
RitchieJ

Re: Existing Road Alignment

Postby saltitone » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:15 am

The way that I know how do it is by only using lines and arcs. I create these by using the "best fit line" and "best fit curve" under the "MsTools" option, then create an alignment using lines and arcs. It might be possible to draw the alignments using a polyline and then exploding it and then create an MS alignment by selecting the components of the exploded polyline.
saltitone

Postby RitchieJ » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:38 am

That worked very well thanks for the answer. For future reference it seemed that if I missclicked while trying to build my alignment from lines and arcs it would bring up the option to edit the alignment, as if I was done, and I couldn't figure out how to keep adding lines and arcs. Is there a way to keep adding on or do I have to go back and do it all as one shot like I did?
RitchieJ

Postby saltitone » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:04 am

The way I do it is to start over if the alignment is not very long or has curves. You can continue on by choosing to edit the alignment. On of the editing options is to "ADD" and follow the prompts. However, you are not allowed to select a curve. I set the next POT by intersecting the tangents coming into the curve and exiting the curve and going back later in alignment edit and add curves by selecting the PI POT and a dialog box appears and you have a few options to use to establish the curve.
saltitone

Return to MicroSurvey CAD