MSCAD 2013 slow to respond

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

MSCAD 2013 slow to respond

Postby wfd144 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:00 pm

I just upgraded from MSCAD 2010 to 2013. I like the new features but am finding it frustrating to use. When i perform a lot of operation the cursor lags very badly from the mouse. I have a 2.93 GHz processor and almost 3 GB of RAM. Is anyone else having this issue? Is there a setting I can adjust. I had no problems with 2010.
Thanks
wfd144

Re: MSCAD 2013 slow to respond

Postby Richard Sands » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:13 pm

wfd144 - Do you have any images in the dwg?
Geotiffs do similar here. Even when locked and Off the dwg is tardy.
regards
Richard Sands

Postby upsideatom » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:39 am

I have the same problem. I switch back to 2010 because it was such a hassle to do simple tasks.
the program seems to be 'thinking' way more and always wants me to regen.
Could it be a setting or because I am on Windows Vista?
upsideatom

Postby fjt_aus » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:43 pm

That will teach me to get all excited about a new release. It's too slow for me as well :(

Same as wfd144, I have a 2.4GHz processor & 2.93GB of RAM. The response speed is just not good enough for regular use. I am also ending up with lots of 'ghosts' of dialog boxes etc on my dwg space. I thought this may be a graphics card issue but I checked via the link (which is broken BTW...I had to hunt around) on the System Requirements help page, but mine is okay. So, what do I do now? Is there an obscure setting I'm missing, or am I stuck using 2010?

Oh, and Richard, that's without images in the dwg.
fjt_aus

Postby Ed Gasbarre » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:37 am

I also have found MSCAD2013 far too slow. No images used, just basic geometry. Something is terribly wrong.
Ed Gasbarre

Postby Hodeho » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:55 am

I have the same problems as above. It seems to work a little faster if I move the drawing off the network and on to my computer.
Hodeho

Postby Eric Anderson » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:28 am

I've noticed this as well. Especially if I need to zoom way in on a node/end of a line.
Eric Anderson
Senior Survey Technician
Olmsted County Public Works
Rochester, MN
Eric Anderson

Postby Brian Sloman » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:07 pm

Hi,

Try typing HWACCELERATION at your command line and set it to 0, then exit and restart the program. Please let me know if you see any improvement with this setting!

Anybody who is encountering unusual performance or display issues is encouraged to send me an email with the following details:
  1. Please describe your specific issue or symptoms. Please indicate if the problem occurs when running a specific command. If something is slow, please try to quantify it with a comparison to your older version if possible.
  2. Before changing the HWACCELERATION variable, in the status bar at the bottom of your MSCAD2013 window, does it say "OpenGL" or "BMP"?
  3. Does changing the HWACCELERATION variable from 1 to 0 then restarting the program make any noticable difference?
  4. What is your operating system (Windows XP, Vista, 7, etc) and is it 32-bit or 64-bit?
  5. What type of video card do you have (make and model)? (Instructions below)
  6. What version number is your video card driver? (Instructions below)

To open the Device Manager in Windows XP, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
To open the Device Manager in Windows 7, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Hardware and Sound, and then click Device Manager.
In the Device Manager, expand the Display adapters section, and the make and model of the video card will be shown.
In the Device Manager, right-click on the video card and select Properties, then in the window that opens click on the Driver tab, and the Driver Version will be shown.
Brian Sloman
Development Manager
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby Richard Sands » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:39 pm

Reckon it may be useful for all if we knew what was what - so here's my config
Win 7 Pro 32 bit SP1
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16 GHz
4 GB Ram

NVIDIA GEForce GTS 250
Driver Version 8.17.12.5896
(says Driver date is 9/7/2010)

Status Bar = BMP

I run dual monitors - 24" & 27"
MSCAD on secondry screen.
I tried on primary but didn't make any apparent difference.

I have not noticed any improvement with HWACCELERATION set to 0

All my other applications work OK with large 350mb images including GIS with same and data sets also loaded.
Richard Sands

Postby Eric Anderson » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:36 am

Brian Sloman wrote:Hi,

Try typing HWACCELERATION at your command line and set it to 0. Please let me know if you see any improvement with this setting!

Anybody who is encountering unusual performance or display issues is encouraged to send me an email with the following details:
  1. Please describe your specific issue or symptoms. Please indicate if the problem occurs when running a specific command. If something is slow, please try to quantify it with a comparison to your older version if possible.
  2. In the status bar at the bottom of your MSCAD2013 window, does it say "OpenGL" or "BMP"?
  3. Does setting the HWACCELERATION variable to 0 in MSCAD2013 make any noticable difference?
  4. What is your operating system (Windows XP, Vista, 7, etc) and is it 32-bit or 64-bit?
  5. What type of video card do you have (make and model)? (Instructions below)
  6. What version number is your video card driver? (Instructions below)

To open the Device Manager in Windows XP, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
To open the Device Manager in Windows 7, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Hardware and Sound, and then click Device Manager.
In the Device Manager, expand the Display adapters section, and the make and model of the video card will be shown.
In the Device Manager, right-click on the video card and select Properties, then in the window that opens click on the Driver tab, and the Driver Version will be shown.

Email sent.
Eric Anderson
Senior Survey Technician
Rochester, MN
Eric Anderson

Postby Brian Sloman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:28 am

Hi, I made an addition to my earlier post - after setting the HWACCELERATION variable, you need to exit and restart the program. When it starts back up, you should see that the "OpenGL" indicator at the bottom of the screen changed to "BMP".
Brian Sloman
Development Manager
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby Eric Anderson » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:12 am

Brian Sloman wrote:Hi, I made an addition to my earlier post - after setting the HWACCELERATION variable, you need to exit and restart the program. When it starts back up, you should see that the "OpenGL" indicator at the bottom of the screen changed to "BMP".

My OpenGL indicator already stated BMP. I have not notice any improvement.
Eric Anderson
Senior Survey Technician
Rochester, MN
Eric Anderson

Return to MicroSurvey CAD