Moving EVERYTHING, but not Z for some things

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Moving EVERYTHING, but not Z for some things

Postby Ron Mak » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:23 am

So Ontario is moving to NAD83(CSRS) 2010 and my existing MSCad files are in UTM on the 2002 datum. I want to shift them by a small amount to put them in 2010 datum. My thought is to thaw all layers and use the cad Move command to move everything from (0,0,0) to (0.012,-0.018,0.023). By using Move, I move everything, not just nodes and lines that may be connected to the nodes. A problem with this method is that everything that was at zero elevation will now have an elevation of 0.023 I could use a 3D view, tilt the view on the side and then move all the stuff on the bottom (by select window) from (0,0,0.023) to (0,0,0). I suppose I could just as easily use the flatten command.

While all this works, I can see it getting tedious after a a couple hundred files. I have played around with "select by properties", hoping I could select all items with a Z coordinate filter, but that doesn't seem possible. I'm hoping I can write a script (or have someone write a lsp routine) to help automate the shift.

Any ideas to help?
Ron Mak

Re: Moving EVERYTHING, but not Z for some things

Postby TentMonster » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:38 am

If you do not want the Z to change then maybe only use the move in 2D and ignore the Z.

Cheers,
Glen
TentMonster

Postby Ron Mak » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:50 am

But I DO want to move almost everything in Z as well. I just want to leave the entities that have zero elevations at the same zero elevation.

Another way to look at it, I want to move all 3D points in X, Y and Z and then move all 2D points only in X,Y
Ron Mak

Postby jrlehti » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:13 pm

Make the move on all and then in the Coordinate editor sort by elevation and any with the shift as elevation edit back to 0
jrlehti

Postby Brian Sloman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi Ron, I think your method of selecting the 2D or 3D entities from a side view is probably the most effective way to do this in MSCAD. Unfortunately, if your 3D entities are near z=0 then this approach may not be practical.
Brian Sloman
Development Manager
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby TentMonster » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:57 pm

Maybe change all ZERO elevations points to an elevation of -999999. Then do a 3D move on everything. Then select all points below -999990 and set them back to ZERO.

Cheers,
Glen
TentMonster

Return to MicroSurvey CAD