Target Heights 6.0.9.4

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Target Heights 6.0.9.4

Postby Richard Sands » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:15 am

I started using the latest version of FG today then my MX decided to spit the dummy so can't verify all my assumptions, but I found the new target height input not overly user friendly.
When one wants to change the target height in older versions that box had our attention, but in the latest the prism type is highlighted.
Much of my topo work is in scrubby areas and where obstacles abound and I am constantly changing target height.
I found the current system slow and counter productive and wonder if I've missed a setting.
As mentioned the MX is currently sulking in the box so I can't grab it and do more testing.

With all that window space when the Target Height is clicked I was hoping to have options to actually have differing target heights of user choice as well as target types.
To me the former is more important than a range of only target types.

Perhaps someone could enlighten me while I nut out why MX is acting contrary.
regards
Richard
Richard Sands

Re: Target Heights 6.0.9.4

Postby Richard Sands » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:18 pm

I think I understand this now and stand to be corrected.
This new layout is good but with some shortcomings.

Some comments.
Backsight: I wonder why the "Use Temp Height" isn't available in that.
There are many occasions I use a small reflective strip stuck on a small right angled piece of aluminium that I can sit on the mark and height is thus 0.000.
It would be good to have that option and then the target resumes its 'normal' height and carry on surveying.

The Target List should give prism height options.
There is additional room on screens, actually on the Allegro there is a lot of unused space.

This would then allow User Prisms to be added with differing target heights and prism constant.
I see that doesn't like characters. I tried creating a description of 2.0, 2.5 which are the pole heights. It does accept 2 0 , which is okay, but why not 2.5? Appears to make sense.

One could argue the Target Height box is there for target heights, but the program is set to focus on the Target option and not the Target Height.
Clicking on the Target Height box only takes you there and it doesn't highlight the whole text entry so its a drag across or double click to invoke the onboard editor which is all cumbersome when we have devices with actual numeric buttons.

Not sure how others use find it and being so new probably not many are actually using the latest version.

My thoughts from DownUnder
Richard Sands

Return to FieldGenius