StarGeoid & BYN files..

Discussion of STAR*NET related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

StarGeoid & BYN files..

Postby gskelly » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:00 pm

Hello,

I am testing the StarNet demo.

Can the StarGeoid program be used to transform HT 2.0 models in the BYN format from Natural Resources Canada into the StarNet GHT files?

I have given it a shot and it just gives an error locating the grid file. Do I have to convert the BYN format file to another format first?
gskelly

Re: StarGeoid & BYN files..

Postby Brian Sloman » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:30 pm

Hi,
Unfortunately the current StarGeoid application is compatible only with the older BIN or BIN/SLV formats including CGG2000, HT1_01, HT97, and other older Canadian geoids. The newer Canadian BYN format is not currently supported.
We do have plans for integrating the Coordinate System engine (called CS-Map) that we currently use in our MicroSurvey CAD and FieldGenius software for the upcoming STAR*NET V7 release. I would recommend that anyone wanting better coordinate system and geoid support in STAR*NET should visit our feature request forum at http://feedback.microsurvey.com to request or vote for this improvement.
Brian Sloman
Development Manager
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby John Lunn » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:15 pm

You can find the HT2.0 geoid model in a .BIN format on the internet. I've downloaded it from a website and have gotten Star*Geoid to process it. Here is a link to a website I've used. http://www.msearchcorp.com/Services/geo ... _0_BIN.zip

Good Luck
John Lunn

Postby phaas » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:39 am

Greater Vancouver Geoid.

Hi all, someone out there must be using StarNet in Vancouver. Have you been able to successfully generate the GHT and VDF files from the HTGVRDBC00 files avaialable online here http://archive.ilmb.gov.bc.ca/crgb/gsr/downloads/ ? They are there in BYN, GGF and Leica formats but I can't figure out how to convert to StarNet format.

Anyone using this Geoid model in Vancouver with StarNet?
phaas

Postby Brian Sloman » Fri May 09, 2014 2:40 pm

Hi,
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I want to note that the new STAR*NET 8 now supports the Natural Resources Canada .byn format. Conversion to .ght format via the STAR*Geoid utility is no longer required, you can select a .byn/.bin/.ght geoid model (like HT2_0.byn) directly within your STAR*NET project's Modeling Options screen.
Brian Sloman
Development Manager
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Return to STAR*NET